black or brown crickets?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• black or brown crickets?

Is there a relevant difference between brown and black crickets? And if not why am I always given the choice?

My Collection: - Support captive breeding

As far as I understand it, Blacks grow bigger than browns. Blacks are supposedly more aggressive and might take a nibble at a T (although I have never had this happen, and I'm sure this is true of Browns aswell).

I also believe Blacks are more adaptable, meaning they can survive in high humidity environments longer than Browns.
    Follow the progress of my spiderlings: The Spiderling Project
    Follow me on Twitter!

Comment

I find blacks get bigger and fatter than browns. If you buy browns I think there are different species that you can get given, and some are small and really hoppy and good at escaping. Blacks I think have a higher protein requirement in their diet so if you want to keep them healthy for a good length of time they'll eat each other unless you give them lots of protein, but I don't think they are much more likely to nibble on spiders than browns - that's a danger with any kind of cricket.

I don't actually use crickets any more because I find them too much of a nuisance. Having said that, you tend to get a better feeding response from the spiders with crickets because they scuttle about in a tempting way!

Comment

I hate brown crickets,and only get them if black are'nt on offer. Browns are alot quicker then blacks,i find them alot harder to catch and sometimes even the spiders miss them,and also browns are a pain to get out of the spiders tubs if the T's dont eat.
        If these words he speaks are true,we're all humanary stew, if we dont pledge allegiance to
        the black widow.nahnahnahnahnah nah nah

Comment

There may be a greater risk that a black could munch your T as opposed to a brown.
          I personally will never use blacks ,just not worth the risk.
          The blacks look like armoured plated beasties to but each to their own......horrible things.
          If you do use blacks and they remain uneaten for a period of time,get them out.
          Last edited by Guest; 17-11-09, 12:29 PM.

Comment

interesting controversy

Comment

black or brown

well my spiders like blacks or browns n dont seem to care one way or the other,blacks are definatly much slower & to that as i just got a real lazy emp scorpion who dont seem to be able to catch the hoppy browns its going to be blacks from now on for me,when i run low on all the browns i have at the min...just wish thay dint make as much noise...sounds like a rain forrest in here
              0.0.1 Aphonopelma Abberans 1cm sling
              0.0.2 Citharischius Crawshayi 2inch+ juv
              0.0.3 Lasiodora parahybana 2+cm slings
              0.0.1 emperor scorpion 5cm ish

Comment

I breed feeder insects for petstores, including crickets, my experience is that the black's are far more agresive than the browns. Black crickets make excelent fishing bait and is mainly bred for that purpose. For feeding my T's and other animals I'm using browns. Black crickets are bigger, so one might feed less, saving a bit of money, but run the risk of having your T getting hurt. This is quite an interisting controversy!
                If you wish to live and thrive let a spider run alive!

Comment

umm

yeh its good ,interesting,how i was looking at it was ,that browns take more catching so are in there longer(few mins more) blacks are slower get nailed much faster...mm i shal be watching this thred as i dont want to put my T's at any risk just for the sake of a lazy arsed scorpion
                  0.0.1 Aphonopelma Abberans 1cm sling
                  0.0.2 Citharischius Crawshayi 2inch+ juv
                  0.0.3 Lasiodora parahybana 2+cm slings
                  0.0.1 emperor scorpion 5cm ish

Comment

In my opinion if you get load your feeder insects (which you should) and remove uneaten items the next day (which you should) there is no reason a cricket should be munching on your T's / Scorpions.
                    Follow the progress of my spiderlings: The Spiderling Project
                    Follow me on Twitter!

Comment

Cant agree more Kurt, and to be on the save side, never leave unatented pray items over-night.
                      If you wish to live and thrive let a spider run alive!

Comment

We've found the brown keep better and grow on and have a longer life than the blacks, but strangely quite a few of our T's will not eat black, so they obviously know the difference.

Comment

Well, my lovely rose has not touched any of the blacks offered for three months now. Dont think it will make a difference, but I'll get some browns in now. Maybe she isnt a moody rose, but just picky. lol

Comment

Hi Ralf, are you sure your Chili is not in premoult, if it is, then it won't eat black or brown lol

Comment

Hi Linda,
                              yes, of course. I was just trying to be funny. (you know what they say about germans and humour - or lack of it.)

Comment

Working...
                              X