Pokie venom

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by wayne balcombe View Post
    My mistake Phill. The statement i made about Phoneutria spp. having the most potent venom may have been a little hasty but was based on research into that specific genra.
    The type of toxins in spider venom do vary and it is our Physiological reaction to the different types and componants in the venom and our body's way of trying to metabolise these that causes the symptoms people have experienced. with Phoneutria spp. the proximity of their habbitat to human dwellings, their agressive temperament and the lack of an antivenom is probably the cause of the the "bad rap" they have recieved.

Though all the "usual susspects" are considered to be dangerous the worst reaction to any bite i've whitnessed was a bite delivered by none other than our very own house spider Tegineria gigantia, the individual bitten had an acute reaction to the venom and suffered anaphalaxis almost immediately and had we (the medical proffesionals) not be close at hand the result would most certainly have been death.
    It wasn't a mistake on your part at all Wayne. The point I was trying to make is that there is no such thing as a 'strongest' venom. As you have illustrated, the reaction can very often be down to how the specific individual's immune system reacts to the bite (or not).

Often I think, other 'nasties' introduced into the body and bloodstream by the physical trauma of the bite and the fangs (and whatever's living on them) can have effects that won't help the case when a body's system is already trying to counter the effects of whatever the venom itself is doing to it.

My Collection:

Comment

hopefully this link will be allowed as its a good indication of how painful it can be, from Dec 1 2009 by RobC/Tarantulaguy1976
      [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hceNe_eswQg"]YouTube- 10" Female Poecilotheria ornata bite!! (Ouch!!!)[/ame]
      My Collection - Summer 2011

Comment

yes phil, it does seem more often the case that secondary infection of the actual bite area, especially i find with mosquito bites, is a bigger problem than whatever toxin or substance is intentionally injected by the offending creature. Another big one is acute allergic reactions to the bites, i believe many deaths that have occured as a result of a bite could have been due to Anaphalaxis or similar reaction and not due to the actual venom administered.

Very educational video clip there Pete, i do feel for the guy but it almost had me chuckling, mostly due to the way some americans string scentences together and the laid back attitude towards life lol, staying fairly relaxed probably helped that guy more than he realised. Aplying ice packs to bite areas is quite useful too when done in the first minute or so, the ice acts firstly as an anti-inflammatory and numbs the area thus reducing pain, also as a secondary it acts as a Vaso-constrictor closing off periferal blood vessles and thus slowing the absorbtion of toxin in to the circulatory system.
        Wayne.

Comment

thank you for all the responses. plenty of great reading. it deffinatly got my research pointed in the right direction.
          my tarantulas
          001 A. seemani 010 A. avicularia 001 B. auratum 001 B. smithi 001 C. bechaunicus 100 C. huahini 001 C. cyaneopubescens 001 C. crawshayi 002 E. murinus 112 G. rosea 010 H. albostriatum 010 H. lividum 001 H. maculata 001 L. violaceopes 001 L. parahybana 100 N. chromatus 010 P. cancerides 001 P. fasciata 010 P. rufilata 001 P. striata 001 P. cambridgei 010 P. irminia001 P. murinus 001 P. lugardi 001 S. calceata 001 T. violaceus

Comment

Working...
          X