Confirmation please?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Confirmation please?

Can anyone please confirm if this is a H. mac and also if the colouration is that of male? This H. maculata measures when fully stretched at 5.5"
    All of the photos I have seen of female H.macs at even 2-3" have had the creamy white and black colouration. And I can't get a good ventral pic I'm sorry.

It looks a slightly different colour to the naked eye though... a kind of light brown mixed with a goldish greeny colour in natural daylight.

Another pic.... I'm sorry my camera isn't very good

Comment

anyone?..................

Comment

I have just learned that this is the spider Paul got from "Poxicator" at the Kempton show .... and now he is mine lol

Comment

It's a mature male I'm afraid, so may only have a few months left. However, we are desperately looking for a boyfriend for our freshly moulted female
          Tarantulas-UK Discussion Forums

Comment

Do H. mac males have very obvious hooks when they mature? As my male doesn't appear to have any hooks yet. (unless I can't see them through his fuzz on his legs lol)

Comment

Originally posted by Tania Baker View Post
              Do H. mac males have very obvious hooks when they mature? As my male doesn't appear to have any hooks yet. (unless I can't see them through his fuzz on his legs lol)
              Male H. maculata are amongst the species that don't get tibial 'spurs' when they mature. Look for little brown emboli on the tips of his pedipalps to confirm his maturity

My Collection:

Comment

Thankyou for that info phil. I would have been looking forever otherwise lol

Comment

oooh, he's changed since September.
                  Most definitely H. mac as I explained in the pm Tania. Good luck with him.
                  My Collection - Summer 2011

Comment

Originally posted by Peter Lacey View Post
                    oooh, he's changed since September.
                    Most definitely H. mac as I explained in the pm Tania. Good luck with him.
                    Thankyou lol .... I have a female coming for him on friday

Comment

stunning specimen! best of luck with matings...
                      you should send him to Dan as well!
                      Returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars... Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that.
                      -Martin Luther King Jr.

<-Black Metal Contra Mundum->
                      My Collection: - Support captive breeding

Comment

OK.... I have got my female but when she arrived she is a little smaller than expected.... she is almost 4.5"..... but the male is 5.5" .... guess she can't be mated as she is an inch smaller than the male?

Comment

Hi Tania,

I'd say the female is large enough. We recently researched H. maculata in Ghana and found small adult females (around the same size as your female) with spiderlings so I'd say give it a go!
                          Guy...
                          www.giantspiders.com

Comment

I agree with Guy. i've had a sac from a female that size before. Got a decent sized clutch too.
                            Tarantulas-UK Discussion Forums

Comment

I am concerned tho as the male is much larger than the female. But would it still be ok to mate them? Or would the male kill the female as I have seen happen fairly recently with someone elses T's when the male was larger than the female?
                              Last edited by Tania Baker; 13-12-09, 01:20 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Working...
                              X