No announcement yet.

pokie mum weak after incubating sac

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for that suggestion Dan, I hadn't heard of that before. I'll bear it in mind for future detection of pre-moult state

Unfortunately the underside of her carapace does glow orange on application of a torch, so it looks like I can rule that out too.

All I can do now is wait and see if she improves over the next few days.

Comment

I believe Guy Tansley and Phil Messenger observed the deaths of a number of females after laying sacs and often after rearing young. They particularly noticed this in African species but there wasn't conclusions to be made without further studies.
      Hopefully she pulls through but on the plus side it does seem like you'll be rewarded with a lot of ewls.
      My Collection - Summer 2011

Comment

Originally posted by Peter Lacey View Post
        I believe Guy Tansley and Phil Messenger observed the deaths of a number of females after laying sacs and often after rearing young. They particularly noticed this in African species but there wasn't conclusions to be made without further studies.
        Hopefully she pulls through but on the plus side it does seem like you'll be rewarded with a lot of ewls.
        I know with some insects and spiders, the female will die about the time her young hatch out and their first meal is mum's dead body. I suppose if my girl was a wild pokie, the timing would be about right for this to happen. She has not improved at all after being in ICU for a week, so I don't think there's anything further I can do. I just need to decide whether to let nature take its course, or hasten her end.

But as you say Pete, I have about 100 EWLs, so although I'm sad about losing her, at least it hasn't been a total waste.

Comment

Working...
        X