Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

P. fasciata and P. h(big long name I cant remember how to spell)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chill out man!! I would imagine that it should be done by expert's in India that know where to reintroduce, surely doing something to stop these becoming extinct is better than doing nothing at all?
    If these words he speaks are true,we're all humanary stew, if we dont pledge allegiance to
    the black widow.nahnahnahnahnah nah nah

Comment

"Experts"? Who are they? Where do you draw the line? You reintroduce one species in one country...why not others?

Comment

Originally posted by Mandy Clinch View Post
        "Experts"? Who are they? Where do you draw the line? You reintroduce one species in one country...why not others?
        Expert's are as the name implies- "experts"
        Last edited by Colin D Wilson; 31-07-10, 12:18 PM. Reason: insult removed
        If these words he speaks are true,we're all humanary stew, if we dont pledge allegiance to

Comment

Originally posted by Daniel Richardson View Post
          Expert's are as the name implies-"experts"
          What i meant was, saying experts is very generic. Who would you have decide where/when/how many to reintroduce them?
          Last edited by Colin D Wilson; 31-07-10, 12:19 PM. Reason: insult quote removed

Comment

Ok then ..... no more insults please.

Read the rules about personal insults and name calling and think before posting

Thank you.
            Don't forget to learn what you can, when you can, where you can.

Please Support CB Grammostola :- Act Now To Secure The Future

Comment

Originally posted by Mandy Clinch View Post
              What i meant was, saying experts is very generic. Who would you have decide where/when/how many to reintroduce them?
              As with what Pete said, so why post then. I'd just hate for something to die out just like that without trying everything possable to save, i don't see anything wrong with taking these from the wild in that area and setting up a breeding programe in India to release back to increase numbers.

Comment

Originally posted by Daniel Richardson View Post
                Expert's are as the name implies-experts
                LOL, and you asked me to chill-out. Actually I'm merely posing questions (in a relaxed manner) that you should consider the points seriously. How would an expert in India know that what a hobbyist bred outside India were not hybrids. With both the species you mentioned looking extremely similar it would be an easy mistake to make. To my knowledge, and I posed the question in BTS a couple of years ago, there are no reintroductions of tarantula anywhere, if there are I'd be interested to hear of any.
                You can't simply just reintroduce a species into an area without a proper understanding of the existing habitat - could it support a big influx of a reintroduction, would it create an inbalance of existing feeders. There are knock on effects to consider. And of course it would be pointless to introduce them to the same area if their natural habitat was destroyed. So, I guess you'd put them elsewhere and perhaps have an impact on another potentially threatened species.
                I understand your sentiments and passion for this but its quite simply not a matter of sending a sac worth of spiders back to their origin. Its much better to support the original habitat and encourage natural growth. That, I believe is what the BTS was attempting to do with the sanctuary, but without support of the appropriate authorities it was rather doomed.
                I know of a number of Europeans who have/are currently breeding P. hanumavilasumica
                Last edited by Colin D Wilson; 31-07-10, 01:12 PM. Reason: insult removed from quote
                My Collection - Summer 2011

Comment

Makes you wonder what zoos are doing when they say they are safe keeping such and such an animal for the future.

If its to much trouble to re-introduce a spider then what hope the Giant Panda or Tiger lol.

Chris.

Comment

Originally posted by Peter Lacey View Post
                    LOL, and you asked me to chill-out. Actually I'm merely posing questions (in a relaxed manner) that you should consider the points seriously. How would an expert in India know that what a hobbyist bred outside India were not hybrids. With both the species you mentioned looking extremely similar it would be an easy mistake to make. To my knowledge, and I posed the question in BTS a couple of years ago, there are no reintroductions of tarantula anywhere, if there are I'd be interested to hear of any.
                    You can't simply just reintroduce a species into an area without a proper understanding of the existing habitat - could it support a big influx of a reintroduction, would it create an inbalance of existing feeders. There are knock on effects to consider. And of course it would be pointless to introduce them to the same area if their natural habitat was destroyed. So, I guess you'd put them elsewhere and perhaps have an impact on another potentially threatened species.
                    I understand your sentiments and passion for this but its quite simply not a matter of sending a sac worth of spiders back to their origin. Its much better to support the original habitat and encourage natural growth. That, I believe is what the BTS was attempting to do with the sanctuary, but without support of the appropriate authorities it was rather doomed.
                    I know of a number of Europeans who have/are currently breeding P. hanumavilasumica
                    I'm sorry Pete, it seemed u were shouting at me.
                    I do repect your opinion and your knowlage on the matter, but u get a lot of shall i say "politically correct" or people without an opinion, like BTS is correct all the time and they dont even read the story for themselves.
                    But the way i see it is-once u've messed with nature in the first place-we are responsible in the end for it. It's not just with tarantula's but with most animals around the world.
                    I have heard on this very website of introduction back into the wild with some sp from asia,with praise from moderator's. I dont have a link now but can find u one if u like

Comment

Hi Chrristopher,
                      regarding your post, the situation is slightly different for the giant Panda and there are many different species of tiger all in need of protection (especially the "abandoned pet" variety in the USA). The biggest issue is that we know the physiology of a Panda and of a Tiger. If they get ill we can innoculate them. How do you give a tarantula a vaccine against a fungal infection? or get a vet to treat it for mites? It may sound silly but it is really as simple as that. Plus there is the lack of understanding as to the place these animals have in nature. A tiger keeps the grazing herbivore levels in check (which is ok unless you're a farmer living near them) and Pandas feed on abundant bamboo (which is no longer abundant as it, like the Panda, got in the way of Chinese/Vietnamese/Burmese agriculture). But what does a spider do? We could say the spiderlings eat the malaria-bringing mosquitoes, the big adults might eat some cholera-bringing rodents, but who would listen? Its easier for the authorities to make the ill pay for expensive drugs and vaccines whilst they swat the very little spids that could help them. Ok, rant over. Why is it tigers and pandas can (and to a lesser extent are) able to be conserved and possibly re-introduced and a tarantula not? Because to most people a tarantula isn't cuddly or regal looking. As simple, sad and pathetic as that. Until people realise the value of what the tarantula does in nature and the indoctrinated garbage of the likes of the "Metro reporter" on another thread here stops, it will always be a bit of a battle to get anywhere.
                      sigpicHate is for people who find thinking a little too complicated!

Comment

Working...
                      X