Egg sac help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Egg sac help

Hi guys. My female Haplopelma lividum dropped a sac 14 days ago. I just have a few questions, if anyone can help put my mind at rest.

So far she hasn't let the sac out of her sight, guarding it at all times which I take it is a good sign. It is fairly big, about the size of a golf ball. It's quite a browny/yellow colour in places which I'm guessing is due to the fact she's turning it on the floor of her burrow. Either that or is has gone bad?

So, would the female discard the sac if it had gone bad? Or continue to nurse it?

I am using springtails in the enclosure to keep things nice and clean. There are a few on the sac itself which concerns me a bit.

Does any of this sound normal? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Jamie
    My Collection:

Hi Jamie,

all sounds fine, a bad eegsac won't show any outwards signs of being bad (colour etc) until it's too late.
    Females will discard eggsacs when gone bad so if yours is still hanging onto it, things may be OK.
    Guy...
    www.giantspiders.com

Comment

Thanks Guy, that's just what I wanted to hear!

This is my first sac so it's all new to me.

Jamie
      My Collection:

Comment

that's awesome, Jamie! good luck
        Returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars... Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that.
        -Martin Luther King Jr.

<-Black Metal Contra Mundum->
        My Collection: - Support captive breeding

Comment

Yep best of luck Jamie, My girl still hasnt dropped, havent even seen her yet.

Comment

First of all, congrats! Just to back up what was previously said, 99 times out of 100 the walls of an egg sac will be woven so thick that there's no easy way to determine the state of the eggs inside. If you see discoloration or other oddness, it's more than likely just on the outside. I also wouldn't worry about the springtails, in fact you may be better off than most for having them; one of the biggest destroyers of egg sacs (mold) will be cleaned right off. Have you decided yet whether you plan to pull and incubate, or if you're going to leave it with her until they hatch out on their own?
            ɟooɹ ʎɯ uo buıʞןɐʍ ɐןnʇuɐɹɐʇ ɐ s,ǝɹǝɥʇ

Comment

Thanks guys!

Originally posted by Mark Waterous View Post
              First of all, congrats! Just to back up what was previously said, 99 times out of 100 the walls of an egg sac will be woven so thick that there's no easy way to determine the state of the eggs inside. If you see discoloration or other oddness, it's more than likely just on the outside. I also wouldn't worry about the springtails, in fact you may be better off than most for having them; one of the biggest destroyers of egg sacs (mold) will be cleaned right off. Have you decided yet whether you plan to pull and incubate, or if you're going to leave it with her until they hatch out on their own?
              Thanks for the info Mark. To be honest I've still not decided for definite yet. I'm absolutely torn! I understand there are advantages and disadvantages in doing both. I have an incubator set up all ready to go if I do decide to pull it, but I'm tempted to leave it and let them emerge naturally. I may well end up flipping a coin! LOL.

I still have some time to think it over. I've had lots of good advice from people on the forum.

Jamie.
              My Collection:

Comment

Originally posted by Jamie Cooper View Post
                Thanks guys!

Thanks for the info Mark. To be honest I've still not decided for definite yet. I'm absolutely torn! I understand there are advantages and disadvantages in doing both. I have an incubator set up all ready to go if I do decide to pull it, but I'm tempted to leave it and let them emerge naturally. I may well end up flipping a coin! LOL.

I still have some time to think it over. I've had lots of good advice from people on the forum.

Jamie.
                Originally posted by Colin D Wilson View Post
                You "can" remove it when you want really, depends on what stage of development you want to start looking after.
                I would pressume that the contents are still in egg form at the mo so you could tip out these eggs in the incubator if you wish.
                If you wait another 4-6 weeks then they'll hopefully be just into nymph (depending on temps etc) so you could just seperate them into film tubs straight away.
                Or you could leave it for the long run and chase little spiderlings around the tub .

feeding is a personal choice for you and the spider, some keepers will feed even when the spider has a sac, others don't (after all the spider is able to sustain itself for this short time with no problems). Some spiders will eat when they have a sac and others don't bother .. again a choice for you .... in a trial and error type of way.

Sorry i've just given options here but there's no definative way to play it.

Me personally, i'd wait another 6 weeks and hopefully find myself seperating nymphs, and not feed her at all untill the sacs gone.

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!

My H.liv has also dropped her sac 3 days ago... Please let me know how you get on, I.e the dates you pull the sac and methods used... I am not looking forward to pulling in sac with her in the way so any tips on how you did it will be appreciated...

I am planning to put in an incubator around day 25 rather than have lots of slings running around the tank as i feel they would be easy to escape.

Let me know how you get on.

Or if anyone has any more advice for me then please feel free to reply... My first sac to so i am increadably nervous
                “The spider's touch, how exquisitely fine! Feels at each thread, and lives along the line”

Comment

Originally posted by Lee Corless View Post
                  Or if anyone has any more advice for me then please feel free to reply... My first sac to so i am increadably nervous
                  Disclaimer: I don't have a lot of experience with breeding, I'm fairly new to it myself, but I thought maybe I could chime in anyways.

I would consider waiting a little bit longer on the pull if it's your first one. Somewhere around 30 days, and you may be lucky enough to open it up to eggs with legs. Pulling it too early and having to wait another week or two for the eggs to 'hatch' is by far more stressful and nerve wracking then leaving it with her up until the last minute. You'll be checking your temps constantly, wondering if you should put more water in the incubator, checking with a torch every few hours to make sure none of the eggs are drying up or molding.... human babies are easier than this. Plug em, tuck em, and feed em. Done. Spider babies... 100s of them... eeeeeee.
                  ɟooɹ ʎɯ uo buıʞןɐʍ ɐןnʇuɐɹɐʇ ɐ s,ǝɹǝɥʇ

Comment

Originally posted by Lee Corless View Post
                    I am not looking forward to pulling in sac with her in the way so any tips on how you did it will be appreciated...
                    This is one of the reasons why I'm tempted to leave it with her. Having said that, pulling 80 odd slings out one by one can't be easy either.
                    My Collection:

Comment

This is one of the reasons why I'm tempted to leave it with her. Having said that, pulling 80 odd slings out one by one can't be easy either.
                      My thoughts were go in, get the sac, then get out. It has to be easier that trying to remove the mother then try and catch 70+ little Livs!!! I am off out today to buy the gear for the incubator. Weather I use it I am still undecided... But you have a fortnight head start, so I will see how you go on in what method you choose then I will decide on the course of action I will take...
                      “The spider's touch, how exquisitely fine! Feels at each thread, and lives along the line”

Comment

Also as a side note, the mother is quite accesable. Her burrow is really close to the front of the tank and should not pose too much trouble in regards to pulling the sac.

Comment

i'd be tempted to let the mother do the hardwork...you can always dig her up, put her in a cricket tub, and then fuss with the slings (they'll probably stick to mother's web for security anyway).
                          i did this with a P reduncus, worked a treat...think we had about 60 slings, one death...
                          but so many people swear by incubation, i won't try to convince you lol
                          Returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars... Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that.
                          -Martin Luther King Jr.

Comment

Originally posted by James Box View Post
                            i'd be tempted to let the mother do the hardwork...you can always dig her up, put her in a cricket tub, and then fuss with the slings (they'll probably stick to mother's web for security anyway).
                            l
                            I must admit, I'm leaning towards this option.

Is it 2nd Instar you have to start separating them?

Jamie
                            My Collection:

Comment

I must admit, I'm leaning towards this option.

Is it 2nd Instar you have to start separating them?

Jamie
                              not sure with these, but the P reduncus were fine up to spiderling stage. may've been fine for longer, but the opportunity to pot them up with help came but once.
                              it was really easy though.
                              granted, P reduncus isn't noted for its defensiveness, though...
                              -Martin Luther King Jr.

Comment

Working...
                              X