BTS Exhibition 2011

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BTS Exhibition 2011

Okay folks, the 2011 BTS Annual Exhibition is almost upon us once again (how time flies!).

So, in order to generate some interest and enthusiasm I thought I'd start a thread posting up some of the photos that were taken by myself and Connie last year (so those people who were unable to make it can see what delights they missed and make an extra-special effort to get there this time).

So, first, the dedicated army of attendees queuing up from the early hours in order to get their prized specimens....
    Attached Files
    sigpic

And the multiplicity of traders that were there (even more this year!)....
    Attached Files
    sigpic

Comment

Some of the goodies that were up for sale (tempted by one of those Scolopenders this year!)....
      Attached Files
      sigpic

Comment

And - some of the entries for the Competition!

DON'T FORGET - ENTRIES MUST BE IN A CLEAR CONTAINER!
        Attached Files
        sigpic

Comment

And finally - some of last year's winners.............. let's be honest, it would have been wrong NOT to include Mr. Lacey!

Remember, you can't win if you don't enter!
          Attached Files
          sigpic

Comment

Okay, one last one - some of my other 'favourites' from the Competition.
            Attached Files
            sigpic

Comment

What time do the doors open Pete?
              sigpicHate is for people who find thinking a little too complicated!

Comment

Hi , thought I would add a few of my own Pete.

The crowds in hall A.
                Attached Files
                British Tarantula Society - Join today safe and secure online

[B]
                The 29th BTS Annual Exhibition
                On
                [B]Sunday 18th May 2014[B]

Comment

A few more.
                  Theres only on Jean Michel Verdez
                  The competition plaques from 2009
                  and
                  The legend that is Ray Gabriel
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by Ray Hale; 26-04-11, 03:13 PM.

[B]
                  On

Comment

If you have any photos of last years ( or any years to that matter) post them up.

The doors open at 11.00am sharp to the public.

[B]
                    On

Comment

Hi everyone..not long now. The Big Day approaches...No not the Royal Wedding although William and Kate would be most welcome to attend THE Big Day if they wished.Thought I would post up a few questions and answers.

EVERYTHING YOU
                      ALWAYS WANTED TO KNOW ABOUT THE
                      BRITISH TARANTULA SOCIETY ANNUAL EXHIBITION (BUT WERE AFRAID TO ASK)

At this time of year I receive a deluge of e-mails and calls from members regarding the BTS Exhibition. This year has been no exception and with a number of questions being posted on the Forum I have decided to post up a frequently Asked Questions page on the site. Hopefully this should tell you everything you need to know. If I have missed anything please feel free to contact me. Please remember that unlike Halpoplema lividum, I do not bite!
                      Q. What is the BTS Exhibition?
                      A. The BTS Exhibition is an event like no other in the World. It is a chance for spider lovers everywhere to meet, buy, sell, learn and generally talk about spiders with like-minded people. Last year we housed 30,000 tarantulas under one roof and had over 1000 visitors to the event.
                      Q. When is the BTS Exhibition?
                      A. The exhibition for 2011 is on Sunday the 22nd May. It is held every May.
                      Q. Where is the BTS Exhibition held?
                      A. It will held at The Coseley School, Henne Drive, Off Ivyhouse Lane, Coseley,West Midlands,WV14 9JW.
                      Q. How do I get there?
                      A. Directions are given on the BTS Website. If you are coming by plane, train or automobile you will not get lost.
                      Q. Is there parking?
                      A. There is ample free parking on the playing field of the school.
                      Q. Do I have to pre-book tickets to visit the BTS Exhibition?
                      A. No. The Exhibition is open to everyone. But be prepared to queue if you arrive early.
                      Q. Do I have to be a member to get in?
                      A. No, everyone is welcome
                      Q. What time does it open to visitors?
                      A. The exhibition opens to visitors at 11.00am and closes at 5.00pm.
                      Q. How much does it cost to get in?
                      A. This is variable but the 2011 prices to get in are as follows£4.00 for adults, £3.00 for children. ( Up to 12) Entry for children under 3 years of age is free. ( At the discretion of the door. So if you have a beard and claim to be 12 be prepared for some light hearted barracking) Members pay £3.00 on production of their membership card, no card no reduction!. A parent or guardian must accompany children. The BTS reserve the right to make any changes to the entrance fee without prior notification if circumstances dictate.
                      Q. Can I buy spiders at the BTS Exhibition?
                      A. Yes, there are over 40 exhibitors at the exhibition. All of which are experienced tarantula enthusiasts. They will be selling spiders but will be happy to give advice and help to the novice. The BTS does not allow the sale of animals to children. There are also a good number of Insect dealers selling stick Insects, mantids, millipedes and just about everything invertebrate that you might desire.
                      Q. Can I sell spiders at the BTS Exhibition?
                      A. To sell spiders or to exhibit you MUST pre-book space. This can be done by contacting me directly for details. No one will be allowed to trade or exhibit at the event without my permission. This rule will be strictly applied.
                      Q. I have heard about the BTS Spider Competitions. What is it all about?
                      A. You have the chance to win a fantastic trophy for displaying your spider at the exhibition. Each year we have a number of categories in which you can enter your spider. Bring it along on the day IN A CLEAR PLASTIC CONTAINER and enter it. The categories are:
                      Best Brachypelma species
                      Best new world terrestrial
                      Best new world arboreal
                      Best African
                      Best Asian terrestrial
                      Best Asian arboreal
                      Best scorpion
                      Best artwork (poorly supported in recent years. Lets see some decent entries this year)
                      Best photography
                      Best children’s artwork
                      Best committee entry
                      Full rules and regulations can be obtained by e-mailing me direct.
                      Q. Are there refreshments available?
                      A. There will be an onsite catering van serving hot food and beverages all day!
                      Q. Can I join the BTS at the exhibition?
                      A. Yes, we would love you to join the BTS. Please visit the BTS Trade Stand and ask for details. Angela runs the membership table so come and say hello.
                      Q. What else is there for me to see and do?
                      A. Lots. As well as the competitions we have a FREE lecture by one of the worlds leading Theraphosid taxonomists. Andrew Smith. There will be an exhibition by the BTS on exactly what you need fr an expedition in search of tarantulas. There is a chance to meet other members and talk to the experts. We really are a friendly lot, so don’t be shy. (It is better to speak to Angela or myself late in the day, as we are always busy in the morning. Any other committee member will be more than pleased to offer assistance.). We are also running a raffle with some great prizes.
                      Q. I’m afraid of spiders. Will people be handling tarantulas at the BTS Exhibition?
                      A. No. The BTS has a strict non-handling policy. Anyone seen handling tarantulas at the Exhibition will be confronted and removed if necessary. We are very aware that some visitors are afraid and we aim to educate, not scare.
                      Q. Why do you not organise two exhibitions a year?
                      A. It’s a thought but the BTS Exhibition takes Angela and myself twelve months to organise. The exhibition is an annual event and hosting two would detract from the idea. Visitors look forward to this event and two a year would probably kill us.
                      So there it is. I hope we have answered all of your concerns. If not then e-mail us at rayhale@thebts.co.uk or post it up on the forum and we will try to help you out.
                      Please visit the BTS Exhibition and enjoy the day.

Ray and Angela Hale
                      Last edited by Ray Hale; 27-04-11, 04:27 PM. Reason: fat fingers

[B]
                      On

Comment

Thanks Ray. thats brilliant
                        sigpicHate is for people who find thinking a little too complicated!

Comment

"Hi everyone..not long now. The Big Day approaches...No not the Royal Wedding although William and Kate would be most welcome to attend THE Big Day if they wished.Thought I would post up a few questions and answers."

Would they? Would they REALLY??

Good summary Ray - cheers for that. Pre-empted a lot of questions there I'm sure.

Looking forward to seeing everyone there on the day and, when it's possible, getting chance to look round and maybe even buy some stuff!!
                          sigpic

Comment

Ok guys the BTS Exhibition is officially full. All space is sold out . This year we have more traders (43), more tables (170) and more spiders (approx 30,000) than ever.

If you havn't booked tables then I'm afraid its too late.

See you all there. Cant wait.

Ray

[B]
                            On

Comment

Dont forget to enter the BTS competition. Details below.

Any budding artists amongst you please enter some artwork.
                              As usual we are holding our Annual Spider / Art Competition at the
                              The 26th BTS Exhibition
                              Entries will only be accepted from 11.00am until 12.30 in GYM. The following rules apply.
                              1. Spiders should be displayed in clear plastic or glass containers with no substrate.
                              2. The owners name should not be displayed on the tank. A ticket will be issued. This is your proof of ownership. Do not lose it.
                              3. You should be a paid up member of The British Tarantula Society. (Although not obligatory we would ask you to support us in the interest of the hobby)
                              4. The category and species name must be clearly displayed on the container.
                              5. Spiders can be collected at 4.00pm. No spider can be collected before this time. If you need to leave early do not enter your spider.
                              6. Prize giving is to be held at 3.00pm in the Main Hall.
                              7. The Judges decision is final.
                              The following categories are open to entrants this year.
                              Best Brachypelma species
                              Best New World Terrestrial
                              Best New World Arboreal
                              Best African
                              Best Asian Arboreal
                              Best Asian Terrestrial
                              Best Scorpion
                              Best in Show
                              Adult Artwork and Children’s Artwork
                              Photography
                              Committee
                              In recent years we have had some excellent display spiders but the Artwork and Photography has been under supported. Please try to enter something in these categories

Ray
                              Attached Files

[B]
                              On

Comment

Working...
                              X