Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Everything you everwanted to know about the BTS.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Everything you everwanted to know about the BTS.

"The aim of the BTS is to promote and encourage the
    responsible husbandry, research, captive breeding, conservation and
    general knowledge of Theraphosids, scorpions and associated fauna"
    I thought I would begin this series of posts with a mission statement.
    The BTS was formed in 1984 by the late Ann Webb and her husband Frank. Along with Andrew Smith, they pioneered the early days of the hobby and led the way for the generations of tarantula keepers yet to come. In those early days the hobby was in its infancy and, perturbed that there was little or even no information available, Ann set about writing her now much respected book, “The Proper Care of Tarantulas”. Sadly, after many years of loyal and dedicated service to the club and the hobby Ann and Frank passed away and the mantle fell to Angela and myself. There has been much talk recently on other forums as to the raison d’être of the BTS and, indeed, if there is still a place for the club in today’s ever-changing internet world.
    Before I begin my series of posts, I would point out what seems to be one simple underlying misunderstanding. A recent thread asked “What right does the BTS have to speak for the hobby?” My answer to this question is simple...none. The BTS has never claimed to speak for “the hobby”. In my 20 years with the club and my thirty-five years in the hobby neither I nor any other BTS Committee member has ever made such a claim. We speak for our members and our members speak through us. It is a fact that we have, over our 26 year history, been asked for our opinions and advice on issues that affect the hobby and indeed we have given them, but the underlying premise on which we are built is that we exist for our members and the club is funded by its subscribing members which, incidentally, includes all Committee members. It is often forgotten that this is our hobby too and I admit that such negative criticism often makes me question why I should carry on. Irrespective of any developments, I shall continue keeping tarantulas.
    “Who exactly runs the British Tarantula Society “
    The British Tarantula Society is run by a committee that currently consists of the following people:-
    Andrew Smith: Chairman
    Paul Carpenter: Treasurer and Vice Chairman
    Angela Hale: Secretary
    Richard Gallon: Editor (shared)
    Peter Kirk: Editor (shared)
    Mark Pennell: Webmaster
    Martin Nicholas: Merchandise
    Ray Hale: Exhibition Organiser and BTS Reference Library Co-ordinator
    Connie Kirk: General Committee member
    Dr. Stuart Longhorn: General Committee member
    Kim Pennell: Lectures Organiser
    Eddy Hijmensen: European Co-ordinator
    Michael Jacobi: North American Co-ordinator
    It is indeed true that many of the committee have been involved with the BTS for many years and personally I believe that this is why the BTS has survived for so long when so many other societies have fallen by the wayside. We are accused of “elitism” and running an “old boys’ network” that sit on its collective backsides patting each other on the back. That hurts. The BTS Committee, having been together for so long are, quite simply, great friends. During my time in the hobby we have made many great friends (not all BTS members). We receive many telephone calls, often up to five a day, from concerned keepers asking for advice. Never have we once refused to help them. We don’t ask if they are BTS members. We don’t care. We have never refused a call or say that we are busy even if we are in the middle of dinner or watching a TV programme. What is important is that if they have a problem with a spider then it should be the responsibility of us all to help if we are able.
    Of course there is the criticism that the BTS Committee is not elected annually or indeed it is virtually impossible to become a BTS Committee member. On the first count, guilty as charged your honour! Why is this? In the early days of the club (pre-1990) the committee was six-strong.
    It was decided that we would ask for Committee members from the membership when we required them or when an existing member left. We found it incredibly difficult to recruit to the Committee. No one seemed to wish to take on the responsibility and so we remained static with the Committee members who were willing to continue in the posts. That’s not to say that we didn’t have a turnover of Committee. Great name such as Mark Kent, John and Kath Hancock, Mark Allison and Carl Portman have sat around the table (I have a full list if anyone would like to see it). But each and every one of the myriad of Committee that have passed through our doors have left for a variety of reasons, often external work-related. None of them, I would add, acrimoniously and they all remain firm friends of the society. I am sure that many of you belong to other clubs and if you sit on a committee you will know how difficult it is to find volunteers who are willing to become involved.
    Running any club is a thankless task. There are those that do and those that tell you where you are going wrong. The sad truth is that if we didn’t continue within the posts then the club would probably fold and Angela I after spending 20 years will not allow that to happen. That’s not to say that we don’t welcome new Committee members. This talk of Masonic-style meetings held in darkened rooms filled with pipe smoke is rubbish (well the pipe smoke up 2005 was probably true). We are not a Masonic society and welcome any applications to join the BTS Committee. In my time in service we have never turned an application down as long as the criteria for membership are met. We have been doing this for a long time and so we know what the club needs. There is no rolling up of trouser legs and the bearing of breast (unless you want to of course). I remember when I joined the Committee in 1992, I thought it was some sort of secret society and in fact I admit to being most disappointed when I was welcomed by a very nice bunch of people who offered me tea and biscuits (the cost of the tea and biscuits are met by the Committee and we collect £1.00 from each committee member BEFORE they get tea and I’m not kidding). We ask of you the following:-
    1. You attend four meetings a year held at Bracknell in Berkshire (this was calculated to be the geographic centre that was equidistant for us all).
    2. You must be willing to make yourself available for phone calls from members.
    3. You must be willing to attend other shows and trade on behalf of the BTS
    4. You attend the BTS Exhibition weekend and assist in the setting up and packing away of the event.
    5. You attend the BTS Lecture weekend.
    6. You have experience in keeping tarantulas and can demonstrate such.
    7. You have organisational skills such as administration, computing, logistical or be able to assist with the general running of the club.
    8. You must be willing to self-fund all of the above. (please continue on th next post)

My rant has overspilled on to another post.sorry. Please see next post
    Last edited by Ray Hale; 17-07-11, 07:36 PM.
    British Tarantula Society - Join today safe and secure online

[B]
    The 29th BTS Annual Exhibition
    On
    [B]Sunday 18th May 2014[B]

Continued from the last post

The only exceptions to these criteria are in respect of the European and USA Co-ordinators (it would be neither sensible or practical to expect these Committee members to attend four meetings a year in Bracknell). They were chosen by the Committee as individuals who are well-respected within the hobby and whom we believed will represent our interests honestly and fairly in the geographical areas they represent. In truth we have found number 8 to often be the sticking point. All committee members pay for membership and self-fund petrol, hotels, etc. However, if you’re still interested we would welcome your applications. Our last application was from Eddy Hijmensen who now represents us in Europe.
    Another point I must address is the claim that the Committee reads like a husband and wives club. I would ask exactly what is wrong with that. How many of you have a partner that does not support or even like your hobby and how many would like one? The fact that we are couples is irellevant. All of the people on the Committee have a real passion for spiders. Angela is a respected authority on spiders whilst I admit to having no interest in New World tarantulas. It’s what keeps our passion alive and frankly if we did not have supporting other-halves many of us would have packed it in years ago.

This brings me on to the BTS Annual General Meeting. It has been, rather unkindly and falsely, suggested that we keep the date a secret and do not encourage members to attend just in case they might voice an opinion. What a load of absolute tosh. We advertise the date of the AGM in the journal, on OUR website, as the meeting is for members only, and at the BTS Exhibition and Lectures. I will not accept the suggestion that we do not want members to attend. Do you honestly think we like to sit in a room with one person (usually Ray Gabriel) and spend two hours reading out our reports? I for one have much better things to do on a Saturday afternoon than drive 200 miles to the meeting only to find no one has attended. The truth of the matter is, whatever some may think, is that if we said “Come to the AGM there will be spiders on sale” then we would get attendees but as we are not allowed to sell spiders there (after all it is a church hall) then most members do not attend. The AGM is carried out after a normal meeting and it runs as follows. Members take their seats. The chairman makes his opening speech followed by the annual reports of the treasurer, secretary etc. Each report is followed by the individual committee member stating whether or not they wish to continue in their role and then they the members there present if they are happy for them to continue in their role for another years. After this we have an open forum during which the BTS members present may ask each and every committee member any question they wish. So I am at a loss as to where this closed shop idea comes from. I will add that should any member object to a specific committee member carrying on in their role then the member would be asked for their reasons and the committee member would be asked to submit themselves to a full membership referendum.

Another point is over the years in an effort to induce members to attend we have considered a number of options. Holding it at the show being one idea. This was decided against as the show is primarily attended by members and non members wishing to buy spiders and not sit in a room for two hours missing the bargains. Another was to allow the sale of spiders or have a talk or lecture. Once again time constraints and rules of the hall would not allow this. So next year we will be holding the AGM on the Sunday morning after the lectures at the hotel. This might encourage those members present to attend and before some of you scream conspiracy this is not a cunning ploy to get people to attend the lectures. We just want someone to attend the AGM. Anyone !
    So the BTS AGM 2012 is on Sunday 19th FEBRUARY at the AZTEC
    Hotel at a tiome to be announced when it has been confirmed.

So there you have it, the running of the Club. I hope some of this answers the questions you may have however if it doesn’t I or one of the other committee members will be happy to answer your specific questions. If some of your questions have not been answered I would ask you to allow me to finish my series of posts. In my next post I will outline what exactly you get from being a member, where your money goes, what the BTS does for the hobby and how you can help. I will then go on to explain the BTS's involvement with other societies and governing bodies. This will be followed by a full run down of the BTS Exhibition and the BTS Lectures and why they are held where they are, a breakdown of the costs involved and our plans for the future.

Ray Hale
    BTS Committee

[B]
    On

Comment

i think i heard of some of the recent whinging by idiots and fools with too much time on their hands that may've spawned this.

all i can say is, to any that have a problem with the BTS...i have two very rude words for them.
      for you that take on this responsibility of running a great and friendly society (that is a massive credit to the hobby!), i have two much nicer words: "thank you!"
      well, actually, the 2nd word in both messages is the same, but you get the point!

don't take on board what idiots say. there are always some out there that have such inner lack of confidence that they have to make themselves look big by tearing down others.
      they may have their fans, but who is more foolish? the fool or the one that follows the fool.

don't let it bother you!!!!!!! those of us who have real opinions that count think you are great and truly appreciate the hard (and often thankless) work you put into running this society.

hopefully at some point i'll be in a place where i can help as well. heck, maybe i'm already there...let me know if there's anything i can do and i'll see what's possible.
      i'm sure there are many on this forum that feel the same!
      Returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars... Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that.
      -Martin Luther King Jr.

<-Black Metal Contra Mundum->
      My Collection: - Support captive breeding

Comment

I can just imagine you Ray with one trouser leg rolled up, baring your chest to a funny man in a gown and a strange hat!!!!!!!!!!!!
        Poeple do what makes them happy. If I want to be a member of the BTS I will be, I don't need some gimp telling me that the BTS has no place, if they don't like it they don't have to join. see you (and Ray G.) at the AGM!
        sigpicHate is for people who find thinking a little too complicated!

Comment

Nice to see a couple of responses - and positive ones are even better. We understand exactly what you are both saying and genuinely appreciate the comments. However, in amongst the bulk of the threads there were, as Ray has stated, some valid questions raised. It is therefore only right and proper that these be addressed to the best of our abilities.

Further posts will appear in due course.....!
          sigpic

Comment

Dont think this gimp or anyone else ever did say the bts had no place just raised a few points was all. I will wait as requested until the whole post/posts are finished before any other, if any other questions I have are posted.
            @obi wan, I would consider a fool to be the one who follows without any questions.

Oh yes I know you know btw I may be stupid but Im not that stupid even if I look and act it but its a fun game for us idiots.

Comment

I also read these accusations made on another forum and tbh i was disgusted with the comments made. Since i found this forum and chat room i have made many true friends who are always willing to help out in whichever way possible. This is the only place i feel i am not judged as a person and where i am treated fairly. I have been in many societies associated with hobbies involving animals and tbh they are nowhere near the quality of the BTS. The journals are absolutely amazing and i love how time is made for those wishing to just write a quick breeding report or pictures. I say carry on guys you are doing a fab job and we are so lucky to have such an amazing bunch of people supporting our hobby.

Comment

I hope I will not offend anyone, but should we not wait with responses or maybe post them on another thread? And leave this one just for Ray to post his information. Otherwise this thread will get a bit messy and Ray's explanations might be harder to follow, if you know what I mean. I noticed that Ray put his in bold, which will obviously help. Not saying that responses are not interesting or appreciated, just would make this thread easier to follow? Just a suggestion

Comment

Originally posted by James Box View Post
                  i think i heard of some of the recent whinging by idiots and fools with too much time on their hands that may've spawned this.

all i can say is, to any that have a problem with the BTS...i have two very rude words for them.
                  for you that take on this responsibility of running a great and friendly society (that is a massive credit to the hobby!), i have two much nicer words: "thank you!"
                  well, actually, the 2nd word in both messages is the same, but you get the point!

don't take on board what idiots say. there are always some out there that have such inner lack of confidence that they have to make themselves look big by tearing down others.
                  they may have their fans, but who is more foolish? the fool or the one that follows the fool.

don't let it bother you!!!!!!! those of us who have real opinions that count think you are great and truly appreciate the hard (and often thankless) work you put into running this society.

hopefully at some point i'll be in a place where i can help as well. heck, maybe i'm already there...let me know if there's anything i can do and i'll see what's possible.
                  i'm sure there are many on this forum that feel the same!
                  Ditto James.. You write some good responses mate!

You guys at the BTS do an amazing job. And the fact that their are couples in the BTS is what made my wife more comfortable about getting involved and sharing the same interest as me. It shows that the club is so accessible and a real "peoples club".

I cant add any more than what James put except a huge THANK YOU from me! Keep up the tremendous work!
                  David Attenborough:
                  ‘It seems to me that the issue of conservation of the natural world is something that can unite humanity if people know enough about it. Persuade them to change the way in which they behave, to change the view that gross materialism and the search for material wealth is not the only thing in life.’

Comment

Can someone send me a link please

It woudl be nice to get more people to the Annual Gabriel Meeting

I did sugest the AGM could be held here at OUMNH so people could come and see the Museum etc before the AGM

I have been asked to join the committe 3 times, and refused.........I have seen the amount of work those guys do and I aint havin none of that I am to busy myself

Keep up the good work guys

Ray G

Comment

Actually Ray thinking about the OUMNH thats not a bad idea. I will be in touch.

[B]
                      On

Comment

i just find it beyond the realm of mick taking that people would whinge about a mere £15 a year, which funds a lovely journal, and a society that puts on fantastic events, and provides advice free of charge to anyone that asks

where exactly is the issue here? the bts is not a law enforcing or legal entity...it's essentially a club run by tarantula loving people for tarantula loving people. it's a nice central source of information. it is a fun group of people that are passionate about spiders.

nobody "leads" or "follows" here. that is an entirely useless and pointless thing to say.

this is a hobby...we keep spiders. there's no room for self-aggrandising, ego, or fame here. and i've never encountered that from BTS committee members...though i've seen it in alot of armchair muppets who clearly lack normal ways of bigging themselves up and lack the ability to feel shame for acting stupidly and needlessly criticising/insulting others.
                        Returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars... Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that.
                        -Martin Luther King Jr.

<-Black Metal Contra Mundum->

Comment

James are you saying that no one has the right to criticise the bts and those who do are nothing more than than muppets?
                          Is this what you have to expect from the members if you raise any points about the bts?
                          Is it not good that this thread or at least the first two posts in it (and hopefully a few more to come) have been made explaining the bts, what it is, who its run by, what it does etc to everyone who wants to read it?
                          Do you not think this could get more people to join, who may have had reservations to do so in the passed?
                          Did you and everyone else know all these details anyway?
                          Is there harm knowing these details?
                          If the criticisems had not been made would everyone be as aware as they are now about the bts?
                          Maybe once all has been explained and made clear the person/persons (of which I include myself) who criticised the bts will be able say that the bts does not sound so bad after all.

I find that the only real insults that have came out of all of this are by people such as yourself, who for some unbeknown reason find it offencive to question anything about the bts.

entirely useless and pointless thing to say much like the obi wan comment in the first place.

Nice to see we can all follow the request not to post on a thread until it is finnished.

Top tip...lock it until finnished then open it once is finished.

Comment

At the risk of argument, I'd like to ask where the hostility towards "this other forum" came from?

Besides one person asking various "difficult" questions (which you will find are actually the reason for this thread and therefore, perhaps a good thing?), I have read and re-read the thread and seen no particularly harsh comments. In fact my own read:

These threads always end up being so inane. Rather than chat about the BTS it becomes a one-up contest between the usual suspects. Which I don't understand either way (positive, negative) since no-one here is on the committee so it's not your work being praised / critiqued.

My opinion of the BTS magazine is that it is a good hobbyist publication and useful for keeping up to date with general hobby issues. For £15 it's about middle of the road in price.

If you want academic stuff, I'd subscribe to the JoA instead or the BAS.

Lately, I have been considering scrapping my BTS membership in favour of academic societies as the cost of joining all these various things mounts up when you are a member of a half dozen or so.
                            The statement that sparked "frenzy" apparently, was:

just join for a year and see what you think after all it is only 15 quid or so. the only good thing I find is that you get 4 journals a year but they are not on time most of the time and many of the articles are not the best, that said there are some good ones from time to time. Besides there are other ways to get them!
                            Im not a member either as I personally do not agree with many of their pollicys and do not like how it is run.

some people love it, some people find it is ok and some don't care for it at all, so the only real thing to advise is to join for a year and make your own mind up.
                            Yeah, it might be abrasive to some but it's just an opinion. Some of the articles are a bit niche from time to time in appeal, and agreement with policy? You can't please everyone. Might be a bit obtuse of me here, but why the rage after this exactly? Are people incapable of not taking it personally?

It's perfectly valid to ask these questions, and the initial "disagreements", from my own reading of the thread arose from assumptions regarding the tone or "usual behaviour" of those posting.

I'm not sticking up for anyone here, but I wonder how many have actually read the thread in question (all of it) before slagging off another forum and it's users?

I think it's pretty poor form for inter-forum snobbery especially considering many users are shared between the two forums, and I have personally seen many recommendations to "join the BTS" from "the other forum" users, myself included.

[edit] I should also add, thanks Ray for taking the time to post this information. I look forward to hearing about the work the BTS does for conservation, as I feel this isn't advertised enough - I have no real idea what sort of policy the BTS has been involved with/pushes/etc.
                            Last edited by Grant Brown; 22-07-11, 06:00 PM.

Comment

the thing is Grant alot of the animosity that came across in the thread came about due to sarcastic comments directed at people that showed any support towards the BTS, isnt that Inter Forum Snobbery in itself? the topic kind of stayed civil after the first quote, but started falling apart once the sarcasm started.

Also i have to say, and i think i am ok in doing so seeing as you have already cross quoted from the thread in question, that very few people have read the whole thread as i myself deleted over two pages.

Comment

Working...
                              X