Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best substrate for Grammastola Pulchripes ( Chaco Golden Knee ) spiderling.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello Peter.Thank you for your kind reply.I was beginning to think that I was being a little over protective of my new baby !!! LOL ! I live in Twyford,near Reading in Berkshire.I have a 10 litre bag of Prorep Spiderlife substrate that I bought when I aquired the sling,but only after reading more into my species requirements did I realise that they much prefer a dry substrate.I spoke to a local T seller today,who said that microwaving the spiderlife substrate before using it would be ok?However,if you recommend the husk,then I'll go for that.Thanks again Peter.Kindest regards.Paul.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Welsh View Post
      .I have a 10 litre bag of Prorep Spiderlife substrate that I bought when I aquired the sling,but only after reading more into my species requirements did I realise that they much prefer a dry substrate.
      A very simple and easily solved problem.

Work out roughly how much substrate you will need, spread it out thinly onto some newspaper in a warm room and leave overnight.
      It should dry or nearly so by the morning. All slings need slightly moist substrate even desert species so if the (hopefully) dry substrate is very dry just add a small amount of damp substrate and mix together until when you squeeze it tightly in your hand it just wont hold into a ball and breaks up. When you put it into the tub, press it down hard to compact it as T's in general do not like soft or loose substrate.
      There is NO hard and fast rule with this so dont start worrying because the spider dont and wont care, as long as if isnt soaking wet or desert/bone dry the spider will adapt. It MAY immediately climb the sides and stay there for several days or even a week, not a problem as most T's do NOT like a substrate change.

I'll just ask the local garden centre what they recommend.
      That will be like asking the local baker how to fit a new light socket LOL
      Last edited by Peter Roach; 23-06-12, 09:10 PM.

Comment

Getting desperate as i need to move Sweety to slightly better accomodation,and don't want her/him to die.
        YOU ARE OVERREACTING AND MICROMANAGING YOUR TARANTULA'S LIFE!

This will eventually give you high blood pressure and either a stroke or a heart attack. It will only intensely annoy the tarantula!

CHILL OUT! We do not, after a long silence from you, want to find out that you're pushing up daisies in some cemetery plot over a spider!

END OF RANT!

Your tarantula's root stock evolved and lived generation after generation for millions of years in 75 different kinds of DIRT back in South America. Do you really think it makes a difference to them?

While there are differences between pure horticultural peat and shredded coconut husk (a.k.a., coir) they are irrelevant. Thousands of tarantula keepers around the planet use either, or, or both with no serious problems. It doesn't matter which one you use.

Read Substrate.

If you think you want to use potting soil for some reason, be sure to read the ingredients label. If it mentions the addition of any fertilizers or pesticides drop it where you stand and leave immediately. Wash your hands before getting near the tarantula.

No ingredients label? Drop it where you stand and leave immediately. Wash your hands before getting near the tarantula.

Does it mention "wood byproducts" or "lumber byproducts?" Because of the environmentalists' outcry, and for financial reasons, North American potting soil packagers have switched from using peat to using composted sawdust and wood shavings in their potting soil. While this is okay for plants, we have serious reservations about using these preparations with our arachnids. This is because the packagers make no statement about what kinds of wood byproducts they're using, and we know for a fact that many woods, especially the red cedars (a.k.a, Junipers) possess substances toxic to arthropods, probably to forestall insect damage, maybe to fend off dinosaurs as well. (But, those are discussions that should be taken up in separate threads on different forums than this.) And, nobody can tell us if the composting process destroys those toxins.

So, on this side of the pond we've largely given up on potting soil and switched to pure peat. (It turns out that the old potting soil was only ground peat with a little Perlite or vermiculite added for "color." So, it ended up being the "same old, same old" anyway.) Read the label. Maybe you should give it up too.

Additives like Perlite and vermiculite are okay, however.

I'm going to make an intellectual leap of faith here and assume you've not been keeping tarantulas for very long. And, that prompts me to load my "Welcome Newbie" canned message. If I'm wrong, I apologize. But, maybe you should read it anyway. Please stand by.

HEY PEOPLE! WE'VE GOT ANOTHER NEWBIE HERE!

Cue the mariachis, the confetti, and the clowns. Let's start the party!

Paul, don't be offended! I've been messing with tarantulas longer than most people on this forum have been alive, and I still consider myself a newbie. I'm just having a little fun with you.

Okay, let's get down to business. First, the pleasantries:

"Welcome to the hobby!"

"Welcome to these forums!"

Now, to get you started on the right foot I urge you to read the following webpages.

Stan's Rant - A little initial boost in the right direction. READ AND HEED THE WARNINGS! READ THE BOOKS!

Myths, Misconceptions, and Mistakes Perpetuated by Tarantula Enthusiasts - A growing list of bad information in the hobby. Be sure to explore all the links.

Additional Thoughts:

The Search Function:
        Don't take this as a criticism, but if you don't already know about it, please learn to use the Search function at the top of the page. It'll save us all a lot of time and effort. Most novices and even many seasoned enthusiasts fail to appreciate that 95+% of all tarantula issues have already been addressed, sometimes ad nauseam, on these forums. All you need do is look for the discussions.

A Basic Operating Principle:
        If you can't find an answer to your concern using the Search function (after all, search engines are far from perfect), by all means ask us. Remember,

"The only dumb questions are the ones you don't ask."
        "And, dumb questions are always easier to deal with than dumb mistakes!"

Fire away!

"We aims to please."

Lastly, has no one told you?

THE TARANTULA KEEPER'S LAMENT

Like those potato chips,

you can't have just one!

You've been warned!

(And, we offer a tip of the ol' hat and our profound thanks to the Frito-Lay Company for institutionalizing the progenitor of this little joke.)

Visit the webpages. Read the warnings. Read the books. Monitor these forums. Do the searches. IGNORE THE CARE SHEETS!

There! I've done enough damage. I'll leave you now to do your homework.
        The Tarantula Whisperer!
        Stan Schultz
        Co-author, the TARANTULA KEEPER'S GUIDE
        Private messaging is turned OFF!
        Please E-mail me directly at schultz@ucalgary.ca

Comment

What can I say?Thank you once again Peter. .....Stan.You are a legend Sir.And I appreciate you taking the time to help me and my T !!! Thank you.

Comment

Working...
          X