Gooty ornamental

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Peter,

I noticed in your reply to Paul you mentioned you keep your Ts in a shed? how do you heat the shed? do you use oil heaters and do you have a back up plan jsut in case the heating fails. I ask because I have a log cabin and want to move my Ts in there, so I can expand but I am nervous to do so just in case of a power cut or poor insullation.

craig

Comment

The most important thing is good quality insulation, it is something that you just cant scrimp on.
      I used 40mm Kingspan covered with 2 layers of bubblewrap and covered the lot with 6mm plywood.
      Heating is by a 2KW oil filled radiator (set at 75F) with a smaller 1KG that I use only in the winter (set at 70F) just in case the temps really dip at night.
      I did use loft insulation (rock wool) but had serious problems with this. It holds water from leaks and condensation like cotton wool and then slowly rots the wood from the insides.
      I would suggest that you read >>> THIS <<< . . there is also a link about my 1st shed in '08.
      Last edited by Peter Roach; 24-11-12, 10:27 PM.

Comment

Peter,

Thank you for your response. I too was going to use kingspan to insulate the log cabin but I was only going to use it on the floor on the inside and the roof on the out side, The cabin is 10ft squared with 28mm tung and grove timber apart from the roof and floor it is only 10mm tung and grove timber. I have electric in there already and I also was going to use Oil filled radiator but my major concern is a power cut.

I am not always around at the weekend and if one were to happen when i was away, then there would be a good chance of my whole collection freezing to death.

would you recommend insulating the whole Cabin?
        And what would you recommend in case of a power cut? ( has this ever happend to you)?

Comment

Originally posted by Craig Toon View Post
          I too was going to use kingspan to insulate the log cabin but I was only going to use it on the floor on the inside and the roof on the out side,

Not in the walls, and why would you use it on the outside on the roof ?
          I really dont think that would work. I certainly wouldnt do it like that, might as well just not use insulation at all.

. I have electric in there already and I also was going to use Oil filled radiator but my major concern is a power cut.

I am not always around at the weekend and if one were to happen when i was away, then there would be a good chance of my whole collection freezing to death.
          If the walls, floor, ceiling, door are fully insulated and if the shed has no windows or are covered and insulated over then on the extremely slim chance that there is a power cut, the heat will not be going anywhere because you insulated the entire shed.
          Like I said, you CANT scrimp on the insulation.

And what would you recommend in case of a power cut? ( has this ever happend to you)?
          Dont open the shed door because any warm air will just get sucked out. I've never had a power cut in the 12 years that I've had this shed but the mrs once turned off the power via the fuse board by mistake during the winter and I didnt notice until the next day. The temps had dropped to the mid 60's but nothing died during the 18-ish hours the power was off, purely because the shed is fully insulated.

Comment

Originally posted by Peter Roach View Post
            As P metallica comes from India, they should be kept on the warm side.
            My spider shed is kept around the mid to high 70's on average but can sometimes drop to low 70's during extremely cold weather and rise to high 80's in hot weather.
            This doesnt bother me as I dont know anywhere in the world where temps are exactly the same 24/7/365.

Yes I do mean asda for the containers.

I suggest that you read >>>> THIS <<<< and >>>> THIS <<<<
            Peter, just wanted to thank you for posting these links. As a relative newbie to pokies myself that newbie guide to pokies is fantastic. Especially the tip on using cardboard tubes to pack 'difficult' spiders up. I am now feeling much happier about the prospect of sending my male P. regalis off for breeding when he matures.

Comment

Working...
            X