No announcement yet.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks Adam

Should be picking her up on Sunday (if not Saturday), I'll pop up a picture...
    B. boehmei
    G. pulchripes
    B. smithi

Comment

Originally posted by Neil Robert View Post
      Hi

Thanks for your posts.

In terms of cage maintenance, how often do you do a full enclosure clean - i mean evrything, in substrate, the lot...?

Thanks
      Neil
      Like Adam, I only ever change the substrate when the spider gets moved to a larger tub. If you do spot cleaning like removing food bola or insect remains they is little or no need to clean the tank out.

Comment

Here she is...

Hi

Well I collected her about an hour ago, thought I'd put up a pic...

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	17.4 KB
ID:	94465

She seems fine, moving around and exploring, but she does seem to have difficulty griping glass, I thought Ts could climb smooth surfaces...?

neil
        B. boehmei
        G. pulchripes
        B. smithi

Comment

They can climb smooth surfaces but some can climb glass better than others, if the glass is new or freshly cleaned then even more so.
          Many species for some reason seem to lose their 'stickiness' when about to moult which is strange because they have tarsal claws not sticky bits

I would leave her alone now and feed her next week or the week after . . or if you are busy over Christmas just feed her sometime in the new year.

Comment

Hi, thanks for your reply

Maybe she'll have a cricket for Christmas lunch!

She's adopted a high position in her enclosure, she's climbed up the back. Is this normal for a terrestrial? The temp and humidity are within range (humidity was at the higher level at one point).

Thanks again
            Neil
            B. boehmei
            G. pulchripes
            B. smithi

Comment

Its a new environment and especially a new floor (substrate) and many T's HATE new substrate. Just leave her alone for a week or two to settle in.
              Whenever I get a new spider or change the substrate on an old one, I just leave it alone for a week or two (sometimes longer) to let it rearrange the tank to itself and to settle in.

The temp and humidity are within range (humidity was at the higher level at one point).
              Within range of what ?

A tip here . . ignore whatever you have read about humidity.
              The word does not exist for you from this day onwards.
              Forget that the word was ever invented.

As long as there is always fresh water available then that word which must not be named has no bearing on anything to do with your spider.
              Ignore what the so called caresheets say that abound on the internet.
              Keep the substrate dry with a small area around the waterbowl slightly damp which is easily done by overfilling the bowl.

The temperature can be anywhere from mid 60's to mid 80's.
              Most people seem to keep their homes around the low 70's in the winter which is an ideal temp.
              As long as you are comfortable then so will your spider.
              Tarantulas are very versatile and can survive a wide range of temps.
              You dont think that the temperatures in their natural range are set at a steady point do you ?
              The temps go up and down daily by as much as 10-15 degrees and when you add seasonal variations into things . . the sky is the limit.

. . . . . and breathe

EDIT . . In the last year, most of my collection have gone through a seasonal temperature change.
              From as low as 63 F and as high as 94F.
              All still here and eating, moulting and breeding just fine .
              Last edited by Peter Roach; 16-12-13, 04:29 PM.

Comment

Hi

Hi

Thanks for your reply.

I must admit I do feel like a paranoid parent! I was actually reading up on humidity in the Schultz's The Tarantula Keeper's Guide this morning and can see what you mean. She's come down to earth now and is snuggled (does a T snuggle) in the corner of her enclosure like she was in the shop when I went to collect her.

Thanks again
                Neil
                B. boehmei
                G. pulchripes
                B. smithi

Comment

Got a pic of the enclosure ?

Comment

I was actually reading up on humidity in the Schultz's The Tarantula Keeper's Guide this morning
                    Have you read Stan Schultz's website ?
                    There is a good article on humidity but unfortunately Stan seems to use 87 words when 3 would be sufficient

If you suffer through it all you should come out the other end knowing a little more than when you started it. >>> LINK there is also articles about misting >>> LINK <<< and temperature >>> LINK<<< also stress >>> another LINK

Comment

Hi

Here she is looking more content...

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	21.6 KB
ID:	94466
                      B. boehmei
                      G. pulchripes
                      B. smithi

Comment

Heating

Hi

Following on from the above on humidity, all the reading I have done (books and online) recommend using heat mats to warm the enclosure. I have one but Is it really necessary? The temperature in my home with the central heating on is around the low twenties, the temp in the enclosure tends to get a degree or two slightly higher than room temp, without a heat mat on. Should I be using one during the day/night when the heating goes off? The lowest I've noticed the room temp to go is about 15/16 degrees C (without any cold snaps!).

Thanks again
                        Neil
                        B. boehmei
                        G. pulchripes
                        B. smithi

Comment

Low twenties sounds perfect to me, and a drop at night is fine. Max/min thermometers are quite handy, and you only need one. If you stick it in the enclosure for a week, making sure you reset it after it's been in for an hour or so, that should tell you exactly whats going on I use some heat mats for some species, but that's just because my house can be in the low 60's for most of the time, or whatever it is, I find myself getting too chilly. I would say 15C is the lower end of what you might want, although don't quote me on that. I'm sure yours will be fine at those temps, especially as that is probably the night time drop. I'll stick my thermometer in my B. boehmei tank though, just out of interest....
                          Have a good time all the time

Comment

Hi

Following on from the above on humidity, all the reading I have done (books and online) recommend using heat mats to warm the enclosure.
                            l
                            What very few books and NONE of the online caresheets take into consideration is where the hobbyist lives, the rooms ambient temperature, their countries temperature or even the seasons temperature.

Forgive me if I'm stupid here but havent I already told you about the temperatures ?

Yes I did

The temperature can be anywhere from mid 60's to mid 80's.
                            Most people seem to keep their homes around the low 70's in the winter which is an ideal temp.
                            As long as you are comfortable then so will your spider.
                            Tarantulas are very versatile and can survive a wide range of temps.
                            You dont think that the temperatures in their natural range are set at a steady point do you ?
                            The temps go up and down daily by as much as 10-15 degrees and when you add seasonal variations into things . . the sky is the limit.

Comment

Originally posted by Peter Roach View Post
                              Forgive me if I'm stupid here but havent I already told you about the temperatures ?

Yes I did
                              Yet yep!I've looked at the temperature for the past couple of days, which has included some clear chilly nights, the min it's for to is about 18C/64F so I'll leave off the heat pad.

Thanks agin

Neil
                              B. boehmei
                              G. pulchripes
                              B. smithi

Comment

Working...
                              X