Spider ID

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spider ID

Anyone want to have a go at identifying this for me? I know what I bought her as (years ago as a spiderling) and I know what I think she is. I'd be really interested to get a few opinions.

At first guess, I'd say Nhandu coloratovillosus...
    Have a good time all the time

Comment

Looks quite strange....
      like hybrid between Nhandu chromatus and colorato or carapoensis.
      All the best,
      Mikhail from Russia

Welcome to: http://tarantulas.tropica.ru

Comment

I have them both. Chromatus and coloratovillosus that is. And this one realy looks like something in between those two...
        http://www.facebook.com/marko.sajovic

Comment

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I posted the same question on another forum too. So far, I have two votes for chromatus, two for coloratovillosus and two for a hybrid. SO the jury's still out then.... I bought her as chromatus, but was leaning towards coloratovillosus, myself. I'll try and get some better pictures in better light at the weekend.

Comment

Lower leg is chromatus patella is coloratovillosum could be a hybrid a possible result of bloody common names..........Brazilian black whiite and red. etc.........then again could just be a chromatus with lots more white in it a genetic colour variety, I would suggest if you can, say who you got it from and ask if anyone else has bought the same thing from that person and ask to see thiers if they all look the same then possibly hybrid if not then a weird colour form.

Do you have any of the old skins? or see what the next moult looks like.

If you are really after a chromatus I will try to get one at the BTS expo and exchange with you............if it is a hybrid then we would be happy to have it in the museum

Ray
            Last edited by Ray Gabriel; 13-02-14, 11:37 PM.

Comment

Just a secondary thought can you get a good close up pick of the carapace sideways on? if it has long hairs as found in Nhandu then a hybrid.

R

Comment

As people have said above. Sometimes tarantulas have odd little quirks from specimen to specimen, hence the abdominal hairs in this case aren't really red. It is a Nhandu coloratovillosus (or however you spell it) and a very pretty spider. wait for the next moult and then you might get the bright red abdominal hairs. Lovely spider!

Comment

Thanks for the info.
                  Ray, I will get some better pics, including carapace, over the weekend. I think I got her from Martin French, but I can't be 100% sure. I've had her a few years now. I don't have any old moults I'm afraid. If she is 'of interest', I'd be happy enough with a trade for something.

Niki, I was waiting for her to get her adult colours, but I really think that would've happened by now, if it was going to. Here's a pic of her with a pint glass for scale. She's a pretty big girl now.

Comment

Ok, I have some better photos. I can also email hi res ones to anyone who's interested.

Comment

Originally posted by Stuart Baker View Post
                      Thanks for the info.
                      Ray, I will get some better pics, including carapace, over the weekend. I think I got her from Martin French, but I can't be 100% sure. I've had her a few years now. I don't have any old moults I'm afraid. If she is 'of interest', I'd be happy enough with a trade for something.
                      You do realise that means she'll be drowned in ethanol, frozen or gassed right? I'm sure it's not going to kill anyone to wait for it to live out it's natural lifespan before it's pickled.

Seems ethically unjustifiable action in my opinion to kill the specimen simply for Ray to turn around and say it's either a hybrid or just a slightly weird coloured specimen. It's hardly time sensitive information if you get what I mean, the answer will be the same now or in a few years.

Comment

Just a tad harsh on Ray and Stuart there, no-one's talking about killing spiders. Ray is more than capable of providing a complete diagnosis from studying a live specimen. All that was suggested was that the spider would be looked after until it passed away from natural causes and then would be preserved. I'm sure Ray meant no harm.

Comment

Originally posted by NikiJoDolby View Post
                          Just a tad harsh on Ray and Stuart there, no-one's talking about killing spiders. Ray is more than capable of providing a complete diagnosis from studying a live specimen. All that was suggested was that the spider would be looked after until it passed away from natural causes and then would be preserved. I'm sure Ray meant no harm.
                          It wasn't an attack on Ray, what I meant was the information gleaned would be very little in the grand scheme of things - it's either a hybrid or a slightly odd existing species.

Perhaps I am jumping the gun, but I didn't get the impression Ray was looking to take on a spider for the next x years until it died naturally. Maybe I got the message completely wrong.

I didn't mean it as an attack on anyone, although I am cautious as I've known researchers in the past who were fairly trigger happy when it came to euthanising specimens.

Comment

Sorry for the delay, I've been away for a couple of weeks. Some bad pics of the inverts of southern Spain to follow....

I've not had any further contact with Ray, so I don't know what his intentions are/were, and I certainly don't fell attacked. To be honest, I try to take a balanced view on the subject. I don't like the idea of killing animals for any purpose, but I eat meat, wear leather etc. I don't have any intrinsic objection to the death of a spider if advances scientific knowledge in some some small way.

Anyway, this isn't an ethics thread, so any more opinions on the identity of this spider?

Comment

Originally posted by Grant Brown View Post
                              You do realise that means she'll be drowned in ethanol, frozen or gassed right? I'm sure it's not going to kill anyone to wait for it to live out it's natural lifespan before it's pickled.

Seems ethically unjustifiable action in my opinion to kill the specimen simply for Ray to turn around and say it's either a hybrid or just a slightly weird coloured specimen. It's hardly time sensitive information if you get what I mean, the answer will be the same now or in a few years.

Who said anything about killing the spider? could possibly work out if it is a hybrid from a moult?

Comment

Working...
                              X