X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• owners views

Hello.
    I would like owners views on the following,
    mexican redknee (B.smithi ) - mexican red leg (B.emilia)- mexican blood leg (Aphonopelma bicoloratum)
    I'm trying to get a better idea to how much each of these t's are like each other.
    so if you keep or kept these please have your say..
    Because it's one of these three I will hope to own so give as much info as you can as too many books make t's in to stereotypes.
    so info on age you got it,cost,moods they have..ect will really help me and others in the future..

Thank you for reading and taking the time to post.

Regards.
    John.
    Last edited by John chambers; 28-04-10, 08:51 AM.

Mexican Red Knee-B.smithi, is THE tarantula that the lay person imagines when you say the word tarantula. Its also the first T that I handled way back before I even imagined owning one. Mine was very docile, handleable but really was a pet rock! Just sat there all day hardly moving and seemed to have a fear of crickets! I kid you not!
    Of the three you listed its the only one I've owned but I have my eye on one of the other two, either B.boehmii or B.auratum, because altho they dont do mch they make good display Ts.
    My Collection: - Spiders are everywhere, so live with it
    Ray Gabriel

Comment

Originally posted by Larry Shone View Post
      Mexican Red Knee-B.smithi, is THE tarantula that the lay person imagines when you say the word tarantula. Its also the first T that I handled way back before I even imagined owning one. Mine was very docile, handleable but really was a pet rock! Just sat there all day hardly moving and seemed to have a fear of crickets! I kid you not!
      Of the three you listed its the only one I've owned but I have my eye on one of the other two, either B.boehmii or B.auratum, because altho they dont do mch they make good display Ts.
      thank you Larry ... and what age was your b.smithi when you got her?.

Comment

Originally posted by John chambers View Post
        thank you Larry ... and what age was your b.smithi when you got her?.
        not sure as she was bought for me a couple of years ago as a gift. I think it was a male,close to maturity I think which I'm presuming is why he died.
        Ray Gabriel

Comment

Hi, I have an adult female mexican bloodleg, and she's very docile, good feeder... nice spider all together.

Comment

Originally posted by Stephen jordan View Post
            Hi, I have an adult female mexican bloodleg, and she's very docile, good feeder... nice spider all together.
            Bloodleg, is that auratum? I get confused with common names!
            Ray Gabriel

Comment

Shes an Aphonopelma bicoloratum

Comment

Shes an Aphonopelma bicoloratum
                Ah, thats another species i want,lol
                Ray Gabriel

Comment

My wishlist is a whopper get there eventually! Yeah, my A bicoloratum is a lovely little spider well worth owning. I want an auratum too lol

Comment

hi Stephen. can you tell us more .. and what age you got her..
                    size they get to.. ect.. it gives me as much info as posible to help me single out the right one to start with.
                    regards.
                    John.

Comment

My wishlist is a whopper get there eventually!
                      Tell me about it! :O
                      Ray Gabriel

Comment

Hi John, I'm not entirely sure how old she is as I bought her as a sub adult from spidershop last year. I'd say she has a body lengh of between 6 - 7 cm, fantastic colours. Not sure what part of Mexico it was collected from but apparently they are found in some parts of Texas too, They don't get as large as the Brachypelmas. Mine has a very docile disposition, will run and hide if startled and has not flicked hairs or shown any defensive behaviour. Has only refused food once, I'm really happy with her as she was a present from my grandmother. I keep mine on a bone dry substrate of coir/sphagnum moss mix and once a week when I change her water I'll spray a quarter of the tank to keep humidity around the 60/70% mark, temperature depends on the weather as it's fixed at 22C on the stat but if the suns out the ambient room temp fluctuates this by a few degrees. I have photos of her on my deviant art page, I can pm you with the page address if you wish? She's a cracking spider John and a good choice!

Comment

Hi John, at the moment in raising a sling B Smithi
                          i got pudding when s/he was no bigger than an ant and now pudding is 2 1/2 leg span. still a long way to go but i love to watch the behaviour
                          Granted s/he just hides in his borrow .... but pudding loves to eat
                          i dont think he knows how to be aggressive
                          should be getting colours soon .... i hope
                          hope this has been helpfull
                          p.s with spiderlings you must keep them pritty moist ... cos there only 'lill

Comment

is this right?... got it from a breeder/keeper.
                            ((( It really depends on the personality of the indvidual T. Some can be very calm, others not. Ts can be sexed around 1-1.5 inch mark.)))

Comment

Hey,

I've got all 2, maybe 3, not sure on the common name you used.

I got the Red Knee 18 months or so ago, she's about 4 - 5" Legspan. She was a juvenile when we got her, can't give you an exact age but maybe 2-3 years old. She's very docile, she occasionally kicked hairs in the past but she seems to have stopped that now. She doesn't use her burrow much so makes a good display spider. She's kept in a 18"x10"x10" Clear Seal fish tank.

My Red Leg is only a sling. Got her / him about 13 months ago. She's maybe 1.5 - 2" legspan, and has her full colouration. I'm guessing she is about between 12 and 18 months old. Again, very docile (especially for a spiderling; slings can be a touch more nervous). She doesn't hide and I haven't witnessed her kick any hairs. She's kept in a pot at the moment.

I'm not actually sure if I have a Blood Leg. I've seen Brachypelma boehmei labeled as a Blood Leg, as well as Aphonopelma bicolouratum, but both look very similar. If it is the B.boehmei you mean, then as above really. We got him about 17 months ago, about 3" legspan. He is now around 4.5" - 5" so is probably 4 years old or so. Used to flick hairs a fair bit, but has stopped completely and is very docile. Doesn't hide so is a good display. He's kept in a 18"x10"x10" Clear Seal fish tank.

All three are kept at around 70F and quite dry. They all have a water bowl and are hardly ever (if at all) sprayed with water. All will live a fairly long life (10+) years presuming their females, males will live significantly shorter than that.

Hope this helps.
                              Follow the progress of my spiderlings: The Spiderling Project
                              Follow me on Twitter!

Comment

Working...
                              X