Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Kurt Baird View Post
    Hey,

I've got all 2, maybe 3, not sure on the common name you used.

I got the Red Knee 18 months or so ago, she's about 4 - 5" Legspan
    Hi Kurt.
    yep it does thanks and the three are B.Smithi - B.Emilia - Aphonopelma bicoloratum.
    there was thoughts of Chaco golden knee :-/ But it grows too big for my first t.. yet they seem so docile and calm and on YouTube there's alot being hands on with them :-0 .
    and being slings are too small to sex it's got to be a juv or sub-adult for a female as I want years with it.
    how does leg span give help ?? is it flat out lags or hunched in? or just normal siting?.
    I'm going for exo glass tank as I like them and a 30x30x30 ( 12x12x12 to the inches like me group)

John

Comment

John, I wouldn't have thought Chaco Golden Knee would be too big a T, being a Grammostola I would imagine it to be same size as a Chile rose or Red Knee.
      My Collection: - Spiders are everywhere, so live with it
      Ray Gabriel

Comment

Originally posted by Larry Shone View Post
        John, I wouldn't have thought Chaco Golden Knee would be too big a T, being a Grammostola I would imagine it to be same size as a Chile rose or Red Knee.
        Also they are rather slow growing so by the time it reached 4-5 inches you would be 2-3 years older

CJ.

Comment

Hi Larry . I've read they get to seven inches and I use YouTube to research with so I get an idea what the t could be like.

Comment

My own B Smithi female is probably the most docile T ive owned....shes approx 5 yeasrs old, got her at around 2 year old....very docile feeds once a week and spends her time sat around doing nothing...i dont handle ant of my spiders i dont see the need, i also have a fire leg female a year younger and shes abit more feisty, kicking hairs when you go into the viv to change the water etc...good spiders to keep though as they never hide away....
            all those moments will be lost in time.....like tears........in rain

Comment

Originally posted by John chambers View Post
              Hi Larry . I've read they get to seven inches and I use YouTube to research with so I get an idea what the t could be like.
              Really, 7 inches? Well you wouldnt want a Salmon Pink bird Eater then (Lasiodora parahybana), the third largest T in the world,at about 10 inches. Or even a white Knee, which isnt far off that.
              Ray Gabriel

Comment

For John-Chaco Golden Knee

Yep, it does get big, but quite placid it seems:

One of the larger species of tarantula, the Chaco golden knee (Grammostola pulchripes), formerly known by Grammostola aureostriata[1], can be expected to reach between 20–22 cm (8.5 in). The Chaco Golden Knee tends to be one of the more docile and calm species of tarantula and therefore makes an attractive first pet
                Ray Gabriel

Comment

Yep, it does get big, but quite placid it seems:

One of the larger species of tarantula, the Chaco golden knee (Grammostola pulchripes), formerly known by Grammostola aureostriata[1], can be expected to reach between 20–22 cm (8.5 in). The Chaco Golden Knee tends to be one of the more docile and calm species of
                  tarantula and therefore makes an attractive first pet

from a owner of one (( they are docile and calm but they can be a little jumpy. Like, if you touch their leg they might
                  start moving or jerk their leg away. but i had mine for a year now and i never been bit or had to deal with her kicking hair every where. The Chaco Golden Knee can have a leg spand of 7-8 inches. I believe Snowball is about 6 in. give or
                  take.))

they may be calm,docile,friendy,But grow too big for my liking lol

Comment

Dont forget that spiders of the same species can have vastly differing personalaties.
                    Just go on any forum and see peoples experiences with the humble Chile Rose Grammostola rosea.
                    Some are pet rocks while others seem to be the devil incarnate .
                    But if you never handle them then any Brachypelma,Grammostola or Aphonopelma would fit the bill.
                    Pick one you like the look of and do your homework before purchase. I dare say in a few years time most of the spiders mentioned will be in your collection lol.

CJ.

Comment

i got two b.smithis, both juvies, one has just moulted and is about 2 inch the other is two inch and in pre moult. they are both good eaters and fairly active ( never owned an adult so weather they will be in a few years i duno ) they not got their colouring yet but they are two of my fav's. the bigger one always comes running when i fill its water thinkin theirs food about and always gets an unexpected bath, evertime.lol

Comment

Originally posted by John chambers View Post
                        Hello.
                        I would like owners views on the following,
                        mexican redknee (B.smithi ) - mexican red leg (B.emilia)- mexican blood leg (Aphonopelma bicoloratum)
                        I'm trying to get a better idea to how much each of these t's are like each other.
                        so if you keep or kept these please have your say..
                        Because it's one of these three I will hope to own so give as much info as you can as too many books make t's in to stereotypes.
                        so info on age you got it,cost,moods they have..ect will really help me and others in the future..

Thank you for reading and taking the time to post.

Regards.
                        John.
                        Hello John,
                        I have owned and currently own two of the species that you are asking about. I have not owned an A. bicoloratum, but would like to in the future.
                        The first B. smithi that I aquired was an adult when I bought her. She had a 5.5" leg span. She was very docile, she would just sit in the same spot most of the time. I don't know how old she was when I got her but I had her for 6 years before selling her. I now have a couple of 1.75" slings that are more active, like Mark mentioned earlier. They are good eaters.
                        I have also owned B. emilia. They are my favorite Brachypelma. If only for there color. They act exactly the same as the B. smithi and grow to be roughly the same size.
                        Both of these are kept in dry enclosures, they are not humidity lovers at all. I simply keep a water bowl in with them.
                        These Brachypelma (females) will live past 20 years.(smithi and emilia)
                        I have not owned any that have had any bad moods, as Christopher pointed out that temperament varies by individual.
                        I also can't help you with the cost, as I live in the U.S.

Hope I have been of help to you.
                        Chris
                        Last edited by Christian Feick; 30-04-10, 05:57 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mark Shingleton View Post
                          i got two b.smithis, both juvies, one has just moulted and is about 2 inch the other is two inch and in pre moult. they are both good eaters and fairly active ( never owned an adult so weather they will be in a few years i duno ) they not got their colouring yet but they are two of my fav's. the bigger one always comes running when i fill its water thinkin theirs food about and always gets an unexpected bath, evertime.lol
                          Hi Mark.
                          So the biger one runs to you thinking it's getting food.
                          Does this mean they can remember?.

Comment

Originally posted by Christian Feick View Post
                            Hello John,
                            I have owned and currently own two of the species that you are asking about. I have not owned an A. bicoloratum, but would like to in the future.
                            The first B. smithi that I aquired was an adult when I bought her. She had a 5.5" leg span. She was very docile, she would just sit in the same spot most of the time. I don't know how old she was when I got her but I had her for 6 years before selling her. I now have a couple of 1.75" slings that are more active, like Mark mentioned earlier. They are good eaters.
                            I have also owned B. emilia. They are my favorite Brachypelma. If only for there color. They act exactly the same as the B. smithi and grow to be roughly the same size.
                            Both of these are kept in dry enclosures, they are not humidity lovers at all. I simply keep a water bowl in with them.
                            These Brachypelma (females) will live past 20 years.(smithi and emilia)
                            I have not owned any that have had any bad moods, as Christopher pointed out that temperament varies by individual.
                            I also can't help you with the cost, as I live in the U.S.
                            Hope I have been of help to you.
                            Chris
                            Hi Chris.
                            Yes every little detail is of help to me and any others that want to own any of these t's.
                            I get a better idea of how they act & feed.

Comment

Theres always Brachy albopliosum! They are small, and have fabulous pinkish curly hairs
                              Ray Gabriel

Comment

Theres always Brachy albopliosum! They are small, and have fabulous pinkish curly hairs
                                that's why they are called curly hair lol.
                                I still like the B.Smithi and B.Emilia so with luck I'll get to see some at the bts meet next month

Comment

Working...
                                X