This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New forum member from the US

Hi everyone, I'm Kathie and I live in the US, west coast (California). I'm a retired nurse. I've been an animal lover my whole life, but my idea of "fur kids" never included furry little tarantulas. Now, due to a request by a neighbor to baby-sit her tarantula while she's out of the country for 2 months (she's a school teacher, and this is the class tarantula), I've been studying about them. I've been reading forums, and I'm halfway through "The Tarantula Keeper's Guide" by Stanley and Marguerite Schultz.

In the past, looking at pic's of tarantulas made me shudder -- I've never liked looking at insects or spiders. I'm not afraid of them, it's just a physical response. Couldn't even watch documentaries about insects or spiders.

But --- now after a couple of weeks looking at photos of tarantulas, I'm appreciating their beauty and the beauty of their pure instinctual drive to survive, both as a species and as individuals. What I considered ugly has become beautiful ... I'm reminded of an observation by Pamela Colman Smith, an early 20th century artist and writer: "Ugliness is beauty, but with a difference, a nobleness that speaks through all the hard crust of convention."

So I'm very close to agreeing to care for "Tranchie" (named by my neighbor's first grade students). I have a major reservation about this. I'm embarrassed to say that I'm not sure I can get over my aversion to insects, and obviously this will hamper my ability to feed Tranchie. Later today I plan to ask for advice about this problem in your discussion forum.

I really want to get over this, because I've actually been looking at online breeders / sellers of tarantulas, and I'm fixated on the idea of getting a G. pulchra and a B. smithi ! When I heard myself say "beautiful" the first time I saw a photo of a G. pulchra, I thought, uh oh, I feel an obsession coming on.

So anyway, hello to all, and this seems like a nice place to talk about tarantulas.

--Kathie
    Last edited by Colin D Wilson; 05-06-10, 07:59 AM. Reason: Replaced text as per instructions
    0.1.0 - P. scrofa juvenile (Primrose Thumb Drum)
    0.1.0- C. ritae juvenile (Lovely Rita Meter Meter Maid)

Comment

• Hiya all!

I'm a college student and a starting enthusiast, it's been a year now.
      I'm into spiders, any spiders will do.
      I like scorpions and snakes as well but I love spiders more.

I only have: 1 versicolor 1.25" (probably female), 4 (probably) selenocosmia javanensis range 8-9 cm, and 270 eggs of (probably) selenocosmia javanensis. wish them develop into baby spiders soon
      I'm glad I can join this forum and hope can cooperate with you all.
      my spiders gallery in deviant art: http://teru-shinju.deviantart.com/

Comment

• Holla evryone!!

Im Kvyn, all the way from Malaysia, reppin' The Malaysian Tarantula Society,
        Just started T keeping like a month ago...
        so here are my collections so far:

B. smithi (1.5")
        A. Seemanni (2.5" & 2")

im expecting a genic and an OBT in 2 weeks frm nw... heard BTS frm the MTS (Malaysian Tarantula Society)...glad to jump aboard with u guys!! Thumbsup!!

Looking forward to discuss any matters regarding Ts here...

Comment

• Welcome all .... especially those from overseas.
          It's nice to be able to share info with people who can observe tarantulas etc in their natural habitat, The UK only has 1 Mygalomorph (Atypus affinis) which is extremely sparse and protected.
          Hope you all enjoy your stay here and please post your questions, advice, general comments and photo's.
          Don't forget to learn what you can, when you can, where you can.

Please Support CB Grammostola :- Act Now To Secure The Future

Comment

• Hi everybody, another noobie..Nıce to meet you all..Best Regards Mert

Comment

• HI BTS

i join last year, but have just not got to use this site a lot.
              ok a littel about myself i am from denmark and 32 years old, i have been in the hobby for about 3 years now.
              here is a list of the tarantulas/spiders i have now ( i dont have as much as i use to )

1.3 Haplopelma Albostriatum
              0.1 Haplopelma Doriae
              0.4 Haplopelma Minax
              1.4 Haplopelma Lividum
              0.1 Haplopelma Longipes
              0.4 Haplopelma Schmidti
              2.4 Haplopelma Hainanum
              0.2 haplopelma robustum
              2.3 Cyriopagopus Schioedtei
              0.2 Lampropelma Violaceopes
              0.0.5 Haplocosmia nepalensis
              0.1.10 Ornithoctoninae G. sp. "Orange fringed"
              0.1.15 Ornithoctonus aureotibialis

0.2 Harmonicon Sp. French Guyana
              0.2 Linothele Cuvitarsis
              1.3 Linothele Fallax
              0.1 Linothele Sp. Peru
              2.1 Linothele Megatheloides
              0.0.10 Dipluridae Sp. Ecuador

0.2 Cyclocosmia ricketti

and a lot of true spiders 600+ ( thats with slings )
              1.3 eresus albopictus
              3.2 eresus niger (1 with eggsac)
              0.1 eresus sp.
              1.3 Segestria florentina
              0.1 Metellina segmentata
              0.3 Sericomyia silentis
              1.2 Pisaura mirabilis
              1.4 Argiope brunichi (2 with eggsac not open yet)(1 with open eggsac and a lot of slings on her and in her web, dont know how many yet)
              0.6 Araneus diadematus
              1.4 Araneus quadratus (1 with eggsac)
              0.1 Indonesian Yellow Crab Spide no ID
              0.5 Meta segmenta
              1.2 Misumena vatia
              0.2 Theridion sp.
              1.3 Leucauge venusta (1 with eggsac)
              0.2 Segestriidae spp (Malaysian black and gold)
              0.1 Thelctiocopis modesta
              0.1 Heteropoda boiei (with eggsac)
              0.1 Nephila clavipes (with open eggsac and a lot of slings on her and in her web, dont know how many yet)

i am also moderator on 2 other sites, so if i can be of any help here just ask.

Best Regards Benjamin Steen
              Last edited by benjamin steen; 20-06-10, 10:16 AM.

Comment

• Just wanted to say Hi & tell ya'll a little about myself. I am female, married (32 yrs.) & live in Texas, U.S.A. I mostly keep reptiles (19 snakes) but one day in our local petshop I was looking at a tarantula they had and just decided "I need a new obsession!" Needless to say I brought my first spider into my home on purpose. I never really liked spiders much before, but after observing them up close I find them very interesting. Maybe too interesting...I now own 5 & next month I plan on getting 2 more. I have one grown son & daughter-in-law who live in Alaska. Now to my tarantula family:
                0.1.0 G. rosea-Tessa T Tarantula, sub-adult-she started my madness
                0.0.1 Avicularia versicolor-Monique Le Spidere, sling
                0.0.1 Brachypelma boehmei-Conchita Lolita Taranchula, sling
                0.0.1 Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens-Raecine Le Rainbow Spider, sling
                0.0.1 Coremionemis brachyramosa-Desiree Darla Tarantula, sling
                The two I plan to get next month will be:
                0.0.1 Poecilotheria metallica, sling
                0.0.1 Lampropelma violaceopes, sling
                Of course there are many more I want. I haven't been keeping Ts very long, I am a noobie & I will be doing more reading others' post to learn beyond the two books I have. I plan to join this society next month. Thanks for having me here, I know I will learn lots from ya'lls experience!
                Last edited by De' Andrea Priddy; 23-06-10, 10:16 AM. Reason: Forgot to put sex of 1 sling.

Comment

• hi im new , my name is lee, live in sheffield uk, 36. only just got back into keeping ts again, and got one upto now (G. rosea ) but wont a avicularia geroldi , but dont no a lot about them, are thay a gd t?

Comment

• Jens Falk, 32yo from Ornskoldsvik Sweden. Been in the hobby since 2008.

Theraphosidae - Birdspiders

0.1.0 Acanthoscurria geniculata
                    0.1.0 Avicularia diversipes
                    0.1.0 Brachypelma baumgarteni
                    0.0.1 Euathlus sp.yellow
                    0.1.0 Pamphobeteus fortis
                    0.0.2 Pamphoeteus sp. "Santo Domingo goliath"
                    0.1.0 Theraphosa sp. "Burgundy"
                    0.0.1 Xenesthis immanis

Uropygid - Vinegarroon
                    0.2 Thelyphonidae sp. "Erawan"

Roaches - Blattodea
                    Blaptica dubia

Comment

• Hi all, my name's Dave, just joined the site as I'm getting back into the hobby after 8/9 years of not having been able to keep any pets other than tropical fish. I used to own a T. blondi and P. regalis, aswell as a Pandinus imperator. Tomorrow I am having 3 H. incei delivered, had never heard of them until a few weeks ago and fell in love. Some people might think I'm crazy for going for a communal setup after so many years of not keeping any animals but I'm confident that they will be 'happy', for want of a better word...I shall post some pics when they arrive and are set up in their new home
                      “The attitude of the average person to the world they live in is completely selfish. When I take people round to see my animals, one of the first questions they ask (unless the animal is cute and appealing) is, "what use is it?" by which they mean, "what use is it to them?"...By and large, by asking the question "what use is it?" you are asking the animal to justify its existence without having justified your own.” - Gerald Durrell

Comment

• Hi Dave, welcome to the forum, keep us all posted on how you go on with the communal set up, should be interesting, and don't forget some pics

Comment

• Hi Linda, thankyou the slings arrived yesterday, all 3 healthy and active, they have all found their own little nooks and crannies to call home and have already begun to spin their tube webs, so pleased with them, they're absolutely gorgeous! Pics will be up soon
                          “The attitude of the average person to the world they live in is completely selfish. When I take people round to see my animals, one of the first questions they ask (unless the animal is cute and appealing) is, "what use is it?" by which they mean, "what use is it to them?"...By and large, by asking the question "what use is it?" you are asking the animal to justify its existence without having justified your own.” - Gerald Durrell

Comment

• Hi Everyone
                            Just joined the forum so thought I'd say hello.

I owned my first spider (Horned Baboon) for 19 months but she died over the weekend. She was a wild caught adult bought from the spider shop so no idea how old she was but up until she died she was very health looking, eating fine and very active over the last 3 weeks. She went really quickly and unexpectedly. I also have an Everglade Rat Snake which we have had for over 16 years. I have just bought a young (2.5 yr old) Mexican Red Knee to replace the baboon and I may get another spider soon, not sure what yet.

Now off to look around the forum now that I've been activated

John

Comment

• Hi John, welcome to the forum, I'm sure you'll find lots to interest you across the forum. I recently lost a Horned Baboon too, they don't seem to have a very long life span.

Comment

• Hi Gaz, welcome to the forum, I'm sure you find lots of help at hand.

Comment

Working...
                                X