Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Got my eye on a few, but it will be a one spider household for the foreseeable future. There is an invert show in Leeds in March, might not be able to help myself lol. Hopefully my Albiceps wont be too glued to the mat but certainly looking forward to the experience of keeping them.
    Last edited by Arron Hooks; 25-11-12, 09:16 PM.
    0.1.0 Brachypelma smithi (annitha?)
    0.1.0 Chromatopelma cyanopubescens

Comment

• Hi Guys & Gals
      I'm Roy live in Tameside Lancs, been collecting selling T's for a good fews yrs now. Had all the snakes lizards lge iguana, lots of tropical fish, at one time I had over 100 T species. At mo I have 3 Chile Rose, 1 Mexican Red Knee, 1 Paraphysa SP "North".

When I was a young lad, many moons ago LOL, I used to supply Tib Street Manchester with all types of animals, if anyone can remember it if they are senior like me. Well I'll probably be on again, if anyone is at Newark on 2nd come and say hello. Anybody can see who I am, I wear a stetson with snakeskin around brim, walk with a limp and stick wear cowy boots, and occationally cowy coat too.
      Speak soon folks
      Signin off.

Comment

• Howdy, Folks, I'm Brian, My friends know me as Billy.....long story...!

I'm very new to the world of pet T's..
        I've recently became the owner of a B.Smithy sling about 1cm or so.

I've been scouring this wonderful forum for info and advice on how to keep and care for the new arrival, and came to the conclusion very quickly:

"This is the place to be, if you have T...!".lol

My sling set up as it stands at the moment, is a Ferrero Rocher tub 2" x 3" x 5.5", you know the ones, Missus had the chocolates, I had the tub..... I know, I know, save it lol.. with ventilation holes sides and top.
        I got a basic substrate, and a piece of dried bark for a hide, oh and a small lid of a bottle for water with small pebbles in it to prevent drowning..

This tub is placed in a larger tank 200x200x300mm, temp hangs around 25deg.c and humidity 60-65 %.

I'm using the tank to help regulate the temp and humidity..

I've had the b.smithy a week now, all seems fine so far, early days I know!
        It doesn't seem to want to eat as yet, but i've just put this down to the settling period, but I've got some small calci worms at the ready!

I'll post some pics!

Anyway sorry if my 1st post was a bit long winded!

Oh quick Q,
        This water gel stuff, Would u guys recommend it for my smithy sling, or shall i keep it simple stupid?

Look forward to your replies..

Billy...

Comment

• Here are some pics of said set up..
          Click image for larger version

Name:	B.Smithy 002.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	31.8 KB
ID:	94376I could of gone basic but...

Name:	B.Smithy 003.jpg
Size:	40.2 KB
ID:	94377The tiny pebbles, was my daughters idea before you ask 'artistic licence.'

Name:	B.Smithy 001.jpg
Size:	29.4 KB
ID:	94375And the tank it sits in!

Comment

• Hi there!
            Im Rob, 27 from Cambridge. I have recently decided to get into keeping Ts, having loked after some for freinds previously.
            I have recenty (as of 04/12/2012) acquired a Chromatopelma Cyaneopubescans Sling (courtesey of the Spidershop), who has settled very nicely and I am now awaiting a molt.
            I'm really here to learn, and figured there would be no where better than here! As a result i have also joined the BTS as a member.
            I would like to increase my collection once my GBB has molted and moved into a propper viv.
            I have ben looking at bo the A Versicolor and the P metallica (as slings) so please let me know if you have experienbc of these, I have already been reading up on the libary of posts on here to better my knowledge!

I have also never kept Arboral Ts so a versi would be my first choice!

Thanks again for making it considerably easier to get ito the hobby!

Rob

Name:	IMG_3352.jpg
Size:	18.0 KB
ID:	94378

Comment

• Hi Rob, looks like we both have theis spider bug! No pun intended...lol

Comment

• Originally posted by Brian Lombardi View Post
                Oh quick Q,
                This water gel stuff, Would u guys recommend it for my smithy sling, or shall i keep it simple stupid?
                Hi Brian welcome to the forum

Dump the water gel and use plain water because of the way tarantulas mouth parts work they cannot drink from the gel, tarantulas have a pumping stomach which means that they can only have water.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rob Logan View Post
                  I have ben looking at bo the A Versicolor and the P metallica (as slings) so please let me know if you have experienbc of these.

I have also never kept Arboral Ts so a versi would be my first choice!
                  Hi Rob welcome to the hobby

I have several A versicolor's (9) and P metallica's ( . . . . what do you want to know ?

Many people find avic's slings easy to keep, myself included BUT newbies to the hobby seem to have problems keeping them alive, probably because they cannot help their non stop 'fussing' over their new pets and constantly mist and feed them after reading one of the many caresheets on the internet written by well meaning newbies who have copied the erroneous information from other erroneous websites. . and so on.

The most important thing is ventilation when keeping avics and other arboreals.
                  Do a search on this forum and you will find many posts about this.

Any questions . . . just ask. (Probably better on the general discussion section though)

Comment

• Thx Peter, Yes I have dumped the water gel! After posting that thread, I read a thread on here about the same mistake!

I'll keep the gel for the live food, further down the line so to speak..

I've kept it to a simple bottle top, with a water soaked cotton wool ball.... seems to be doing te trick!

Thx again...

Billy...

Comment

• Take out the cotton ball, its a haven for bacteria. Liquid water in the bottle top is fine.

Comment

I've kept it to a simple bottle top, with a water soaked cotton wool ball.... seems to be doing te trick!

NO. Take the cotton wool out. It is just a breeding ground for bacteria.

A container of water . . .just water . nothing else.

I have many species that I've had from 0.5cm slings that have never had water. I do have a few adults and juvies that do have water but not until they are around 2-3 inchs and only when they are in a premoult fast.

Comment

• I think i'd like to keep a water sauce in there...Should i replace the cotton wool with small pebbles then.

Think I've also read on a thread on here somewhere, that natural sponge is also an option!

Is this again a breeding ground for bacteria.....?

thx again.

Billy...

Comment

• yeah, a sponge will also cause bacteria to breed, spoiling the water.

Pebbles are dependant on what type of feeding you do. If you chuck the food item in and leave 24 hours, yes by all means add some pebbles as escape ramps so the crickets don't drown and spoil the water. If you are placing food in and seeing if the spider attacks it immediately do not bother as the prey is either being eaten or you are removing it straight away.

Comment

I think i'd like to keep a water sauce in there...Should i replace the cotton wool with small pebbles then.

Think I've also read on a thread on here somewhere, that natural sponge is also an option!

Is this again a breeding ground for bacteria.....?

Brian, take out EVERYTHING apart from the water.

You are trying to over complicate things

Only have water in the lid top.

Ignore all the rubbish that you may have read.

A small lid with plain old tap water, replace once or twice a week.

Job done.

Comment

• Many thanks Peter!
                                Well, I have harboured an interest in Ts for quite some time and it was this website that really made it possible to get my Gbb really!
                                Im pretty well versed on the ventilation, and would like to think I won't fuss over it too much - I try and keep the environment as natural as is possible! (Plus I work far too much...)
                                I was speaking to a freind at a local pet store who also keeps Ts (with a considerably larger collection) when I said I had been looking at arboreals and that the p Metallica and av were my short list he suggested the p Metallica for sheer enjoyment of its colour - advising both are similar in habit and temperament. If really like to try and raise from Slings for the obvious rewards!
                                Two questions really, is it worth using fan assisted ventilation systems, or are these just carnage for the spiders habitat and web?
                                Secondly, on a lighting front, what is best ? Iv got LEDs - red and blue moon glow, I'm not convinced my sling "can't detect" that there's a whopping great light on... The lights are only for illumination as I'm using heat mats vertically so there's a decent gradient - well lost!

thanks again for all your help and support - really is appreciated!

Rob

Comment

Working...
                                X