X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello I'm new here

Hi,

I'm new here.

Quite new to to this have 3 I have had from slings.

Brachypelma smithii
    Acanthoscurria geniculata
    Lasiodora parahybana (below)

150+ fish, cray fish, 4 hermit crabs and 3 golden gekos (www.tank-cam.com) and a cat.

When not looking after little things the I'm a software engineer, working for myself on medical imaging have PhD, MBA etc.

Have one daughter and another on the way. Daughter is fascinated, have had to explain to the pre-school that we really do have hermit crabs already.

John

Comment

Hello all this is actually my 3rd introduction here due to two extended absences!
      (http://thebts.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=602 2nd introduction! since then the male cala has died)
      (And also hence the nickname not being my real name yet)

So when my nick gets changed over I'll be
      Gayle E. Anderson.
      I am 24 and live in Central Scotland and I've just started a degree in BSc Quantity Surveying .

ATM I only have two t's
      1x B. Smithi and 1x T. Pruriens.
      and one 6' male common boa
      I got my first t for Christmas when I was 12, an H. Lividum!
      Since then I have kept A. Avic, A. Purpurea, 3x T. Pruriens(although I was given them as Pamphos), 2x G Cala.
      Also kept emperor scorpions and a number of reptiles.
      I've been away from the hobby for some years now but I am hoping to get back into it, starting with some Avic slings(versicolor and purpurea)which will hopefully appear in the form of either an Xmas pressie from the boyfriend or an Xmas pressie from myself! Although being a poor student I am hoping for the former!

Comment

welcome Jennifer, Matthew, Thomas, John and Gayle! hope you enjoy it here as much as i have!

John, i gotta say, that's a beautiful L. parahybana in the pic! hope mine can grow up to look as nice as that!
        Returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars... Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that.
        -Martin Luther King Jr.

<-Black Metal Contra Mundum->
        My Collection: - Support captive breeding

Comment

Hello Everyone,

I'm another new person, just thought i'd post to say Hi. I have always liked spiders and have been keeping tarantulas for 9 years now. I currently have 2 tarantulas, a Chilean Rose imaginitively named Rosie (my first tarantula), and a Mexican red knee called Fuzzy-Wuzzy. I have also had a couple of Pink toes in the past, including a beautiful Antilles pink toe I got as a spiderling which sadly turned out to be male, hence why it is no longer around.
          Here's to many further posts in the future!

Claudia

Comment

welcome, Claudia
            Returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars... Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that.
            -Martin Luther King Jr.

Comment

Hi to everyone!

Hi to everyone here...I have finally managed to find an hour free in the midst of my hectic day-to-day schedule to finally join this forum and post an intro!
              I'm Louise and I'm an arachnoholic...lol...and I've not had a T delivery today...but jesting aside, my father is probably the start of my collecting habits...he had B.Smithi when I was a child...and snakes, so I am still debating whether my passions are learned behaviour or genetic!

I breed cornsnakes (I have somewhere in the region of 40, including some juves), albino honduran milksnakes and also own a couple of ball pythons...as well as my eight legged friends! More often than not, I tend to be working with my team of critters to ensure they are in the best health, so if I'm absent from time to time I haven't forgotten any of you...I'm just having a *hectic-fest*! lol

My tarantula collection has had a big boost this year...there were so many lovely beasties I wanted...so after much careful preparation for what each one required, I satisfied my needs and got most of the specimens that I fancied, but there are still others on my list!
              I'm quite Brachypelma biased overall when I look at the balance of what I own lol, Smithi, Emilia, Klaasi, Vagans, Verdezi...but I have balanced that with a few Grammostola too: Rosea, Pulchra, Aureostriata. There are a number of others too...but I reckon everyone will fall asleep before I have finished posting!

Anyways...time for a tea-break...I'll look forward to knowing you all and sharing wisdom etc!

Comment

Welcome, Louise
                sounds like a nice history of animal keeping!
                -Martin Luther King Jr.

Comment

Thanks!

Thanks for the welcome James...yup, there's a 34 year history of critter-keeping! lol

Comment

not too shabby!
                    i've also always been around animals...i apparently fell off a donkey i was trying to ride at the age of two...i made friends with the bees in the bushes and random worms... tried to make friends with dead mice the cats brought, but my mum put a stop to that!
                    later i moved on to keeping garden snails and beetles as well as cats and dogs.
                    it's only in the last few years i've discovered the joy of scorpions, tarantulas, snakes, etc

the world needs more like us, that's what i say!
                    -Martin Luther King Jr.

Comment

Awww...your mum didn't like pet dead mice either?! LOL Mine didn't approve...mind you she didn't like the fact that myself and my dad were avid fans of anything *exotic*! In fact I still have a freezer full of dead mice...but those are for the snakes...I don't sit and pet them...honest!

The world could certainly do with more of us...that's why I'm over the moon getting signed up here. The usual greeting I get from people is either: totally fascinated, or, horrified interest after some strange facial expressions, or, last and worst: the tight lipped smile and the *oooh don't you have a busy home*....ie *where's your padded cell?* LOL

Comment

i get similar reactions lol! think my workmates are ALMOST used to it, but some of them still don't like seeing my tarantula etc pics everywhere!
                        yeh, my dead mice are only for the snake, so i claim!
                        -Martin Luther King Jr.

Comment

LOL!! Ah, but those mice are just so cute...and they don't need feeding...
                          I laugh my head off everytime our postman brings me a SpiderShop parcel...he stares at the document panel, sees the logo and can't wait to let go of the parcel! The look says it all...but there again that could be down to my hair lol!

Comment

lol
                            well my postman hasn't had to deal with two much scary stuff yet, but i imagine that will change i may tell him what's in my magical parcel of scorplings tomorrow just to see the look on his face!
                            i'm mean, i know!
                            -Martin Luther King Jr.

Comment

LOL!! Oh yes, but there again...sometimes the laughs make up for the number of times we get that *oh hell here comes THAT person* type looks!

Comment

i do get a certain pleasure from creeping people out...but of course i wish they realised these little creatures are not as scary as they think!
                                -Martin Luther King Jr.

Comment

Working...
                                X